Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Want to upgrade 98 to XP SP2

• Please log in to reply

wkucheer

wkucheer

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
:tazz: Want to install a version of XP SP2. But my PC doesn't have disk space. Also when I did make it to the end of install, a file was missing and could not install. Willing to do a clean sweep if necesary. Please help.

Advertisements

katkat92

katkat92

• PipPipPip
  • 165 posts
You can try and format the drive, and do a clean install. Might help with the space issues.

New hard drives are pretty cheap these days. You could install XP on the new drive and use your old as a slave so you can transfer all your old files and stuff over. Try newegg.com for great deals on hard drives. :tazz:

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi wkucheer...Welcome to G2G!

Please download System Spec...run it, and post (or attach) a log to this thread. This will give us your system specifications. This is to make sure that your machine will meet the minimum requirements for XP to run smoothly.

The additional hard drive suggested by katkat92 is also sound advice, but let's have a look at the specs first.

wannabe1

wkucheer

wkucheer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
:tazz: I am downloading now.

wkucheer

wkucheer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Windows: Windows 98 4.10 (Build 1998)
Internet Explorer: 6.0.2800.1106
Memory (RAM): 64 MB
CPU Info: Pentium® II Processor
CPU Speed: 366.8 MHz
Sound card: RipTide Playback
Display Adapters: RAGE IIC AGP (English) |
Screen Resolution: 800 X 600
Network Adapters: PPP Adapter. | PPP Adapter. |
Power Status: High
Time Zone: Pacific Standard Time
CD / DVD: M: |
COM Ports: COM1 COM2 COM3
LPT Ports:
Hard Disks: C: 6.0GB
BIOS Date: Not Detected
Serial Number:
Manufacturer:
Product Make:
PCMCIA (Laptops): Not Installed
USB Controllers: Detected: 1 host controllers.
Firewire (1394): Not detected
:
:
:
:
:
:

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
wkucheer...

In it's current configuration, you machine barely meets the minimum requirements for Win XP. It'll run, but won't be at it's best.

XP requires:
300MHz Processor...you're ok (you have a 366 MHz)
64MB RAM (Min) 128 MB (Recommended)...barely ok (you have 64 MB)
XP requires 1.5 GB of free disk space to install...???? (you have a 6 GB disk...unknown how much is free)

My recommendation to you is to get another stick of Ram and either eliminate a lot of unnecesary stuff on you present hard drive or start with a larger drive and slave your present drive...the latter would be better.

As an aside, I picked up an 80GB Maxtor hard drive at Staples the other day for $49.95.

wannabe1

Edited by wannabe1, 06 October 2005 - 06:50 PM.

wkucheer

wkucheer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
what kind of stuff is safe to eliminate...

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
wkucheer...

Any programs that are not used such as old games or trial versions that have expired.
Transfer older documents and photographs to cd or other media (a good idea anyway).
Run Disk Cleanup and Disk Defragmenter from System Tools.
Run a program like CleanUp! to eliminate temporary files.

If it were me....I'd get all my important files and photos off the machine and onto other media, format the drive, and then do a fresh install of XP.

The 64MB of ram is going to be what slows XP down...more RAM would be very beneficial.

wannabe1

Edited by wannabe1, 06 October 2005 - 07:18 PM.

Inu-Ya

Inu-Ya

• PipPip
  • 60 posts
Hello there, Depending on the motherboard it is hard to figure out what type of RAM to need. Either SDR or DDR. Here are some good buys from newegg.com!

SDR

256MB 168-Pin SDRAM

128MB 168-Pin SDRAM

DDR

128MB 184-Pin DDR SDRAM

256MB 184-Pin DDR SDRAM

Come back if needed more research

Edited by Inu-Ya, 07 October 2005 - 04:25 PM.

wkucheer

wkucheer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
thanks, is my system too old school?

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts

View Post

I'd say yes, since you can get a complete setup for $300.00 with a 40gb drive and a much faster processor and XP already installed. And XP will run mighty slow on the rig you have, plus you won't have much left for files.

You could use the older rig for donkey work like uploading and downloading or web browsing.

One question is, do you have any apps on the older rig that you want to keep?

Inu-Ya

Inu-Ya

• PipPip
  • 60 posts

View Post

Heres what I would Recommend for you man.

MotherBoard - MSI KM3M-V Socket A (Socket 462) VIA KM266Pro Micro ATX AMD Motherboard

CPU - AMD Sempron 2200+ Thoroughbred 333MHz FSB 256KB L2 Cache Socket A Processor

RAM - pqi POWER Series 1GB 184-Pin DDR SDRAM Unbuffered DDR 333 (PC 2700) Or pqi POWER Series 512MB 184-Pin DDR SDRAM Unbuffered DDR 333 (PC 2700) Note: Depending on what you do, those are recommend! board supports *PC2700 Only*

Graphics card - ASUS A9600GE/TD/128M Radeon 9600 128MB 128-bit DDR AGP 4X/8X Video Card Note: Depending on what you do, will decide what to buy. I will however keep looking into what you do.

Hard Drive - Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 8 6K040L0 40GB 7200 RPM 2MB Cache IDE Ultra ATA133 Hard Drive

Computer Case - N WIN Z IW-Z720T.I300FU2AD White Steel MicroATX Mini Tower Computer Case 300W Power Supply This case is Perfect!

Ok, The total for all this is around $370.00 *That's not bad!* Happy to help. I added up with the 512MB stick so... it may cost around 390 with the 1GB

Edited by Inu-Ya, 07 October 2005 - 09:42 PM.

wkucheer

wkucheer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
yeah i can get rid of pretty much everything. do you know anything about virus's that can't be cured by etrust web scanner?

Inu-Ya

Inu-Ya

• PipPip
  • 60 posts
yeah i can get rid of pretty much everything. do you know anything about virus's that can't be cured by etrust web scanner?

View Post

Are you planing on keeping your current system and buying all the stuff I researched? Well, You can try Avast Home Edition. Its free and it is a great AV program.

Note: Uninstall any AV program you already have before Intsalling Avast!

Download it here and install it - Avast Anti-Virus Home Edition 4.6.691

Register here for the FREE license key. You will have to put in an E-Mail Address to obtain the key. And all you do is copy and paste the key into the program - Registration

Edited by Inu-Ya, 08 October 2005 - 08:15 AM.