Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Ethernet card Problems

• Please log in to reply

A Train

A Train

• PipPip
  • 70 posts
I have installed a new ethernet card into my computer. When windows XP loads it detects this new hardware but calls it a "Multimeadia Audio Controller", and it cant find any drivers to run this device.

Why does it not recognise it as the ethernet card, is it the bios settings? What can I do to fix this?

Advertisements

Baggyboy

Baggyboy

• PipPipPip
  • 106 posts
Did you get a driver disk with the ethernet card?

If so then uninstall the driver that windows auto-detected and run the setup on your driver disc to install the card properly.

Are you confident that the card is XP compatible? There should be a badge on the box confirming this.

hudihoo

hudihoo

• PipPipPip
  • 298 posts
it is probably xp compatible. if no disk go online and download. or go to control panel and add hardware and manual and choose the model from the list and it will use the preinstalled windows drivers.

Baggyboy

Baggyboy

• PipPipPip
  • 106 posts
Hudihoo: I think that A Train is trying to tell us that the default drivers will not work for him for some reason. I was suggesting a possible explanation and solution. Not simply reiterating what we already know about this problem. ie. That the default drivers are not working

A Train: Can you tell us what make and model of Ethernet card you have and then we can help track down the correct driver for you.

Can you get back to us and let us know if you need more help or if your problem has been solved, please.