Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Need to upgrade pentuim 3 to pentium 4 processer

• Please log in to reply

magicwinxrocks

magicwinxrocks

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I have a P3 I want to upgrade to a P4 so I can play the Sims 2. I'll even buy a whole new motherboard if need be.I found a $99 to a little over a $100 Pentium 4 motherboard at biz rate and nextag. Is this going to be a promblem for me? :tazz:

Edited by magicwinxrocks, 06 October 2005 - 04:24 PM.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts

I have a P3 I want to upgrade to a P4 so I can play the Sims 2. I'll even buy a whole new motherboard if need be.I found a $99 to a little over a $100 Pentium 4 motherboard at biz rate and nextag. Is this going to be a promblem for me? :tazz:

View Post

You'll need a new motherboard, new processor and most likely some new memory and probably a new power supply. A new enough motherboard could also require the change of graphics card.

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Hi there

If you want to upgrade from P3 to P4, you will require a new motherboard as the cpu sockets are different.
You will almost certainly need to buy new memory as well - P3's use PC133 SDRAM, most modern P4's require DDR memory instead.

You may need a better power supply too, depending on the specs of your current PSU.

magicwinxrocks

magicwinxrocks

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I am illerate when it comes to computers, so your going to have to explain exactly how and where is a good place I can buy all these things I am going to need to upgrade to P4? Are biz rate and nextag good places to buy all of it? :tazz:

Edited by magicwinxrocks, 06 October 2005 - 05:16 PM.

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
I'm going to have to pass on advising the best places to buy from as I only know English suppliers I'm afraid.

What I will say though is that I suggest you do a little bit of research first. Have a look at motherboards etc & find a couple that you like, then research them online - i.e independent reviews etc. Also go to the motherboard manufacturers website for info & if the website has a forum, look through that as well to see if there are any problems are commonly being reported with that particular.

magicwinxrocks

magicwinxrocks

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I found this Dual motherboard at newegg called a SLI ATX AMD motherboard for $160.00 . Would it supply the new processer, new memory, new power supply need all in one? I also found a motherboards with processer. What is a Cerlon D processer is it better than Pentium 4? I would post the link where I found this on newegg, but I don't know how.

Edited by magicwinxrocks, 06 October 2005 - 05:52 PM.

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
Celerons are lower end cpu's than the intel pentium 4. The celerons have less cache and are made cheaper... :tazz:

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts

I found this Dual motherboard  at newegg called a  SLI ATX AMD motherboard for $160.00  . Would it supply the new processer, new memory, new power supply need all in one? I also found a motherboards with processer. What is a Cerlon D processer is it better than Pentium 4? I would post the link where I found this on newegg, but I don't know how.

View Post

I'm not sure what you mean by 'would it supply the new processor....". If you mean does it come with the new processor etc, then no.
Also the board you mentioned is an AMD board not Pentium 4, so it will support athlons (type of athlon is dependent on the cpu socket on the board) but not Intel CPUs.

If you want to post the link, go to the page you want then highlight the address bar (i.e http://www.newegg.com/....), press the CTRL key & the C key on your keyboard at the same time to copy the link. To paste the link into a post, click on a new line in the post, then press the CTRL and V keys at the same time.

magicwinxrocks

magicwinxrocks

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Is this good enough to play the Sims 2 and it's expansions. srio30z series Athlon 64 3500+
windows xp service pack two
operating system 2.2 ghz
512 mb ddr-400 mhz
sdram 91x5120
80 gd 7000rpmsata hard drive
integrated ati xpress hyper memory
80 gig

Edited by magicwinxrocks, 07 October 2005 - 09:23 PM.

heartofalion28

heartofalion28

• PipPip
  • 95 posts
eww no integrated graphics that will suck some of the processingness from ur processor just buy a sep vid card nothing special decent ones are still pretty cheap.

Lion

Edited by heartofalion28, 07 October 2005 - 10:13 PM.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Sims 2 and intergrated/onboard graphics will not go. Your sims will look like mush. I know, I've tried it.