Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

getting error 201; stuck key error 01- splitscreen

• Please log in to reply

fuqyu

fuqyu

• Pip
  • 9 posts
I was talking to a friend today who is having an issue with his Windows 98 installation. His PC is displaying half of the screen twice on his monitor (I think the top half if it matters). Also, when he boots his system...he's getting an error 201; stuck key 01. Are they related? I think that error means there's a key on the keyboard that is stuck, but why on Earth would it make the computer screen split like such? Has anyone ever heard of a problem like this? Any help would be appreciates, I suppose I could always have him reinstall windows, but that would be a tedious project, as we don't live near each other and I don't want to teach him to back up his hard drive AND reinstall windows! Are there any windows 98 startup repair disks that might fix this?

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Have him try another keyboard and see if he still gets that same error. I don't think they are related, they keyboard error and the screen error, but lets tackle one error at a time and see how things go.

Fenor

Guest_1069_*

Guest_1069_*
How old is the monitor?

If he can get to Control Panel > Display > Settings and sets the Screen Area to the lowest setting (640 x 480) does it still split the screen?