Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows taking longer to start and shut off...

• Please log in to reply

Numb Remxed

Numb Remxed

• PipPipPip
  • 493 posts
I've noticed a few days ago that my computer took a noticeably longer time to start and a lot longer time to turn off. I'm not sure but I installed quite a few computer utilities these past weeks such as Logmein and CofeeCup FTP.

I keep my computer regularly cleaned with the Cleanup utility. I also have quite a few antispyware and anitvirus softwares running in the background.

Right now when I try to shut off my computer, windows only ends some of my processes and doesn't do anything else. I have to end a lot of processes myself and press the turn off my computer button again. If that doesn't work, then I have to do a force turn off.

I'm pretty sure I don't have any malware but I haven't scanned in a while.

Anway these are the programs that usually run in my background:

ad-watch
Nortan Internet Security 2005
Google Web Accelerator
Desktop Randomizer
Microsoft AntiSpyware
FreeRam XP pro
Logmein

Anyone have any suggestions or ideas? Thanks!

Advertisements

Pi rules

Pi rules

• PipPipPip
  • 634 posts
Try defragmenting your hard drive, but use CHKDSK first (go in My Computer, right-click your drive and click Properties, then go to the Tools tab and click Check Now. You may want to scan too, and possibly stop some things from starting with Windows.

Edit: I saw this:

anitvirus softwares

That could cause it. You probably only should have one AV program installed (or at least running) at one time, or there could be conflicts, and it is recommended that only one antispyware program has real-time monitoring on at once.

Edited by Pi rules, 06 October 2005 - 06:55 PM.

Numb Remxed

Numb Remxed

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 493 posts
ok thanks for your reply. I did some spyware scans and picked up nothing. I limited my antivirus programs just down to Norton and ad-watch.

The disk error scanner didn't pick up anything either. I analyzed my C drive and it said that I didn't need to defragment. But I'll defragment it anyway sometime this weekend.

I guess I'll just keep on monitoring this problem to see if it gets better or not. Thanks for your help.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi Numb153Im remxed...

When shutting down, does a ccApp window pop up which you either have to "End Now" or it takes a while to shut down? This is a part of the Norton application you have installed. I've no idea why, but lately I'm seeing more and more problems like this associated with both Norton and Zone Alarm. (I'm just waiting for my time to come...I use Norton IS 2005, as well)

Do you have the Norton install cd or is it downloaded? Do you have Zone Alarm installed?

wannabe1

Numb Remxed

Numb Remxed

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 493 posts
sometimes that does pop up.. not always though. I only have Norton installed from the cd that I bought.

Edited by Numb153Im remxed, 07 October 2005 - 04:53 PM.