Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Wireless prblm

• Please log in to reply

Clarky4lfe

Clarky4lfe

• Pip
  • 6 posts
So i've got an AR5001X+ built in wireless in my new toshiba satellite blah blah blah!.....here's the deal... it keeps disconnectin and reconnecting.... it used to work fine then all the sudden this happens i'm like 5ft. from it and it does it i'm using just regular windows xp and it keeps screwing up i'm pretty sure i'm running on 802.11g cause my connection is 54 also i have a u.s. robotics maxg router.... on a side note i want to print things from my laptop through my host pc how can i do that without directly connecting my printer to the router?

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Have you installed any software firewall programs lately?

Fenor

Clarky4lfe

Clarky4lfe

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
naw it came with the standard xp garbage and i added mcafee to it but i dont' think that changed anything i got this laptop round x-mas and it's been doin it ever since

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
So you've ALWAYS have had this problem?

Fenor

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
And are you using Window XP's built-in wireless connection support or is there a program installed that takes care of the wireless connection?

Fenor

Clarky4lfe

Clarky4lfe

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
naw i use built in wireless connection support and yea i've always had this darn prblm it just keeps getting worse like it'd work for a few days not it's like every ten min.

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Have you tried disabling the Windows Firewall and the Mcafee one (if it's turned on), and then try and see how things go. It could be the two firewalls fighting with each other. Also, you do know that your router is a firewall too, the best kind there is, a HARDWARE FIREWALL, so you don't need to have both mcafee and windows firewalls up and running. They will only cause more headaches then they help.

Fenor

Clarky4lfe

Clarky4lfe

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
it's still doin it and both the firewalls were off! and i checked and there aren't any firmware updates for my network card

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Try downloading the most up-to-date driver for your wireless card and install it. See if that helps. If you need help finding the driver that is right, post what it says EXACTLY for your wireless card in DEVICE MANAGER. (Right click MY COMPUTER, click PROPERTIES, click HARDWARE tab, then click DEVICE MANAGER button. Click the '+' symbol next to NETWORK ADAPTERS.

Fenor

Edited by Fenor, 06 October 2005 - 07:55 PM.

Clarky4lfe

Clarky4lfe

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
i did that last week and i've got the most up to date driver
i'm thinkn it's a crap router cause i dont' know it just seems really crappy

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
I suggest you RESET the router. The normal way to do this is there is a little button (that you will need a paperclip to push down) that you keep pressed in for at least 30 seconds, then release it and the router should do it's self-test. Once that is complete, reboot your computer and then log into the router. You can usually do this by typing in 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1 You will need a login and password. Since I don't know what router you are using try these out and see if they work:

* name: admin pass: (leave it blank)
* name: admin pass: 1234
* name: default pass: (leave it blank)
* name: (leave it blank) pass: admin
* name: (leave it blank) pass: default
* name: administrator pass: (leave it blank)
* name: (leave it blank) pass: administrator

These may or may not work. The best way to know for certain is to give the make and model # of your router.

Fenor

Edited by Fenor, 06 October 2005 - 08:05 PM.