Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Are All Temp Files Safe To Delete?

• Please log in to reply

hobbes30

hobbes30

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
Just ran my regular friday morning scan disk check on my pc, and it found a few problems. As I was watching the scan, I saw it was dumping a whole load of temp files into the same folder that holds the Spyware Guard program.
When scan disk was finished, I'd lost about 7 gb of space. Whent looking for it to discover that same Spyware Guard folder full of about 12 gb of .tmp files. :tazz:

Is it safe to wipe these to free up the space? Also, any ideas as to why it chose to dump the files where it did? :)

Advertisements

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts
If the folder ends with .tmp you can delete them, I would advise you get Cleanup which deletes all temp files. What program did you use to scan your disk? I can't see why it put them there.

hobbes30

hobbes30

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
It was Windows scan disk that you access through properties. Every thursday night I set it up to start when I turn the pc on friday morning 'cos for some reason it'll only let me do it at start-up.

I'm currently zipping the files up to store them just in case but it's taking forever. Shall I stop that and just straight delete or should I use this cleaner prog that you mentioned?

I ran TuneUp utilities after the scan disk, but it didn't find them. If I hadn't had been watching the screen while it was scanning, I would never have known where to look for the missing 12 gb!

Still wondering how it got to be that large an amount of temp files too? :tazz:

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts
Don't zip them up you don't need files that end in .tmp run that program that I sagested, it will delete what you don't need.

hobbes30

hobbes30

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
Well I ran cleanup and it's removed loads of stuff, so thanks for that.

One problem though...it seems to have done something to the interface of both ie and outlook express. OUtlook has come off worse-it's lost all its dividers, all the buttons and seperaters have gone black and it looks a right mess! :tazz:

I've gone through all the options in view but it hasn't helped. Nothing has actually changed in the options since before I ran cleanup, so I've not really got anything to change.

Any ideas?

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts
I don't think cleanup is to blame, you did say that scan disk find some corrupt files so read Tweak 6 here and tell me if it fixes it.

Edited by Michael Buckley, 07 October 2005 - 05:32 AM.

hobbes30

hobbes30

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
ok just about to try that.

should i shut down any running processes ( ad-aware, anti-vir etc) first?

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts
No just follow the Tweak. I hope that it works.

hobbes30

hobbes30

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
Everything I've checked so far is as it should be, so cheers for that! :tazz:
I still have no sound in Flash player though. Really thought this may have fixed it! :)

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
http://www.softpedia...installer.shtml

download the above flash uninstaller and then reinstall flash player...had a guy who had a similar issue and we had to reinstall an old version of flash player (7.0), but at the moment I cannot find the old version anywhere

hobbes30

hobbes30

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
I have a feeling it may be the uninstaller I've already used:

http://www.geekstogo...und-t68186.html

but hey, I'm at the stage where I'll try anything five times! :tazz:

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff