Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

GRUB hangs

• Please log in to reply

bee700

bee700

• PipPip
  • 49 posts
Hello
I have been trying for some time now to install WinXP and Linux Suse9.3 on my laptop. Nothing seems to work, Grub hangs. Has anybody done this with success?

Advertisements

Thef0rce

Thef0rce

• PipPipPip
  • 380 posts
what does grub say when it hangs? and what is your motherboard chipset?

bee700

bee700

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
Grub just says :

Loading Grub stage 1.5

Please wait...........

Chipset is ? I don't know/ When looking at the specs: I have Graphics: Chip Build in SIS M760. Does it answer your question?

thenotch

thenotch

• Retired Staff
  • 668 posts
Is this a fresh install of both XP and SUSE?

If so, you might want to fdisk your MBR and then try reinstalling. Also you ARE installing XP first correct?? Because if you try to install SUSE and THEN Xp it's gonna screw up your MBR.

bee700

bee700

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
Both fresh install XP first of course.
I'll fdisk tell you when done.

Thef0rce

Thef0rce

• PipPipPip
  • 380 posts
your chip set is sis. I dont know if suse comes with sis support because its newer, but usually linux kernels don't support sis chips very well, unless it's using the newest kernel. for this reason I can't install fedora core on my new comp, it hangs at the loading screen.

bee700

bee700

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
oh, I am going to check on the suse site to see if it is supported. Thank you, I'll post back to tell you

bee700

bee700

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
can't fdisk. Is that DOS command or Linux. No more linus accessible now I am back to square one. Just windows on my laptop and partitions ready for Suse

bee700

bee700

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
SIS seems to be suported. Checking some more

Thef0rce

Thef0rce

• PipPipPip
  • 380 posts
fdisk is a dos command. I had a feeling that suse would support sis, in which case just reinstall suse.

if it still hangs at grub stage 1.5, insert the suse disk again to see if you can do a grub repair. I think this should also attempt to repair the mbr at the same time.

Edited by Thef0rce, 07 October 2005 - 01:43 PM.

bee700

bee700

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
Did grub repair 3 times no result. What about the mbr repair will that affect the Win installation?
Also I don't seem to have fdisk in dos.

thenotch

thenotch

• Retired Staff
  • 668 posts
fdisk is NOT just a DOS command.

FDISK (and CFDISK) are both command line functions and come with a variety of Linux distros (I have a Slackware CD I use because it boots right to a generic CLI and you can access fdisk from it).

Another thing would be to make sure that SUSE isn't trying to load GRUB on the root partition and that it is using the MBR.

bee700

bee700

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
Thanks. I think I am finishing for today. Too tired and I just busted my cd drive (tray was open didn't see it, badly collided with it. I am Ok though :tazz: )