Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

computer freezes

• Please log in to reply

Daija

Daija

• PipPip
  • 29 posts
Hi all Ive posted a few times latly im having alot of trouble with my pc latly and need some help.

ok about 4 days i was online and it was freezing so I took it to my friends house he said it was my video card, now he then reinstalled windows xp pro and gave it back to me. nowit worked fine all day yesterday didnt freeze and i played my mp game online no probs. then last night it wouldnt even start up and when it did it was freezing as soon as i moved the mouse. now this morning i get up and its running fine so i went to start,run typed in dxdiag and ran the test and they came up fine.so does that rule out my vid card being the prob? I was reading some other post about maybe it being the power supply, is there a way to test that online or do i need to take it in? or do you have any thoughts what the problem could be. (sry to say im not very experienced in computers at all)

thx for your help

Jaclyn

Edited by Daija, 07 October 2005 - 08:49 AM.

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
heat would be my first guess given your information....open the case, clean out the dust bunnies, particularly on any fans you see (check the videocard, too).

Hold the fan blade in place with your finger and get a can of compressed air to blow the dust out (this ensures the fan bearings do not burn out when hit with the compressed air since the bearings are not designed to spin at the rotational speed the compressed air will spin them at)

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
heat would be my first guess given your information....open the case, clean out the dust bunnies, particularly on any fans you see (check the videocard, too).

Hold the fan blade in place with your finger and get a can of compressed air to blow the dust out (this ensures the fan bearings do not burn out when hit with the compressed air since the bearings are not designed to spin at the rotational speed the compressed air will spin them at)

Daija

Daija

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
Thank you for your fast reply but we did that yesterday cleaned it out good but I was just looking at the video card fan and it doesnt seem to be moving.... I cant really tell because its down low in the case but i dont feel any air coming out like i can with the other fans... any suggestions?

Thef0rce

Thef0rce

• PipPipPip
  • 380 posts
if you're sure about that I think there is a way to take out the old vid card fan and put in a new one. it'll depend on how the fan is attached to the card. if it has 4 screws in the corners, it'll just come off like a normal case fan. just make sure you get a new one that's the right size.

Daija

Daija

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
ok ty so maybe just a new fan? im asking because the dxdiag test i did said the card was ok? would the card be ok if just the fan was out?

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
yes, dxdiag checks for functionality of the windows direct x api/features...it has nothing to do with whether the card is functioning.

Too much heat or bad ram on the videocard will not be detected

Daija

Daija

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
Thank guys I think ill have to get a new video card as mine does not have screws it looks like its stuck on there. thanks again

jaclyn

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
try removing the videocard and cleaning the fan on the card...I've seen them clogged with cathair. You might also consider as a test opening the case and using a small fan to blow over the case insides to see if it temporarily fixes the issue