Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Hard Drive has become "Not Ready" after Game crash

• Please log in to reply

kiff

kiff

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi. I registered here tonight after hours of searching for a solution. I also searched 35 pages of entries on this forum to no avail.

At around 7:15 ish whilst playing San Andreas on my M:\ drive (120 gig can't remember the make, or see the label currently) when all of a sudden very very strange graphic problems started to happen and it started to get choppy. I slowly quit the game, recieved a very delayed black screen and the famous windows warning chime (I'm running 2K, 512 Ram, 1.4ghz Amd). Nothing was happening so I ctrl/alt/del the task manager up and eventually the windows desktop game back up and GTA had shutdown. I figured it was just a crash due to excessive RAM access. So I started GTA up again and it was just showing a black screen and then exiting after a minute. I decided to uninstall and re-install, but the same thing happened.

Reluctantly I restarted my computer, which I do not like doing under any circumstance and try to avoid it if at all possible unless it's critical to the system. The boot up crashed at the 100% mark of the Win2K progress screen, so I restarted again and logged in. I opened up My Computer only to ffind my M:\ drive listed as "Local Drive". I double clicked it and it said "The device is not ready".

Now I opened up my event viewer and there were quite alot of ID:29 events. Saying "dmio: Harddisk3 read error at block 120053776: status 0xc00000a3", each ID:29 refers to a different block but on the same drive. -Source=dmio

Then there is the actual warning Event ID:35 "dmio: Disk Harddisk3 block 63 (mountpoint M:): Uncorrectable read error" -Source=dmio

The event ID:9 "The device, \Device\Scsi\fasttrak1, did not respond within the timeout period." -Source=fasttrak

So I opened up the components manager, went to storage and no where the drive M: is listed. Infact all my drives there (including my virtual drives) were listed through from A:\ to O:\ completely missing out M:. I did a rescan and the "Unsafe Removal of Device" box pops up, kindly displaying the offending, supposedly removable drive, in the box below "Promise 1+0 Stripe/RAID0 SCSI Disk Device", then after clicking ok, the "Local Drive" disappears on my list.

The disk is on it's on Array using the Fasttrak133 Lite that came with my Motherboard. It is set up as a Master and is being detected in the BIOS and in the RAID setup screen. I deleted the Array and re-set it up and still the same problem. I've run a virus scan using McCafee and nothing. I have let my computer cool down for a while, checked the cables and still nothing.

Can anyone help me at all? I have 119 gig of data comprising of music, to films, to University work etc. It's all very well backing up your files, but not only can I not afford it because of my studies.....ironically that WAS my backup drive.

Here's my specs:

Operating System: Windows 2000 Professional (5.0, Build 2195) Service Pack 4
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: MSI
System Model: MS-6380E
BIOS: Default System BIOS
Processor: AMD Athlon™ XP 1700+, ~1.5GHz
Memory: 512MB RAM
Page File: 265MB used, 979MB available
Windows Dir: D:\WINNT
DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
DxDiag Version: 5.03.0001.0904 32bit Unicode

Card name: NVIDIA GeForce FX 5600
Manufacturer: NVIDIA
Chip type: GeForce FX 5600
DAC type: Integrated RAMDAC
Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0312&SUBSYS_8F19147B&REV_A1
Display Memory: 256.0 MB
Current Mode: 1024 x 768 (32 bit) (60Hz)
Monitor: Plug and Play Monitor
Monitor Max Res: 1600,1200
Driver Name: nv4_disp.dll
Driver Version: 6.14.0010.5672 (English)
DDI Version: 9 (or higher)
Driver Attributes: Final Retail
Driver Date/Size: 3/24/2004 10:04:00, 4274560 bytes
WHQL Logo'd: Yes

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
The drive may well have decided to give up the ghost.

Strange things happen when Windows tries to write to an area of the disk that suddenly decides it doesn't want to play anymore. Windows can get very confused.

If you can lay your hands on another SCSI RAID card, just to try something and eliminate that part of the problem, that would be good.

Otherwise, this might be useful:
http://support.micro...kb;en-us;329075