Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Memory Add-On!

• Please log in to reply

Inu-Ya

Inu-Ya

• PipPip
  • 60 posts
Hi, Heres a link to my motherboard MSI VIA Motherboard KT7266 Pro. Ver.2 I have two 256MB PC2100 sticks making it a total of 512MB. One on the far left and the other on the far right. One left out in the middle slot. My question is what should I buy? I'm thinking about buying this one pqi POWER Series 1GB 184-Pin DDR SDRAM Unbuffered DDR 266 (PC 2100). Should be good. but I'm wondering what my Motherboard can take. I think it can only only support PC2100.

Inu-Ya

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
The maximum FSB on the board is 266Mhz.

In theory it would be possible to put some faster memory in it which you could then use if you change board and processor later. But not all motherboards will like this.

Crucial recommends PC2100 so go with that.

Inu-Ya

Inu-Ya

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
Thats what I thought. But would buying a 1GB stick do good? Being that my CPU is an AMD Athlon Xp 2000+ 1.67? My Grahpics Card is a ASUS ATI 9200SE 64-Bit 128MB 4X AGP Enabled.

I'm also wondering when Windows Vista comes out would my system with 1512MB Of RAM and AMD Athlon Xp 2000+ 1.67GHZ be good? I've read that it will require 512MB at least but would recommend 1GB! I'd rather keep Xp for awhile but Although I have an Vista/LongHorn Visual with a LongHorn Screen logo Theme I'm liking it.

My computer is good for it's time but I'm thinkin about upgrading in about 2 years I guess.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
In all honesty I would recommend you wait.

When Vista comes out next year, then consider your options then, and wait for user reviews to see how it performs on certain system specs. XP runs okay on a Duron 800.

I think you would benefit from waiting for 64-bit prices to come down over the next year or so. I believe your money would be better spent on a new board, processor and memory in 12-18mths time rather than buying 1Gb now of slower stuff which may not give you performance increases you want and you may not be able to transfer it later as a stopgap.

But at the end of the day, the decision is yours.