Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How can I have back the Content.IE5 folder

• Please log in to reply

scarletb79

scarletb79

• PipPip
  • 81 posts
Hi!

I deleted the content of the Temporary Internet Files folder and accidentally I deleted also the subfolder Content.IE5.
How can I have it back?
Doing a scanning with Spyware Doctor (demo version) I found something on the Content.IE5 folder but I can't delete it because when I search for it, well, it's not there!

Thank You,
Scarlet

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
there are multiple Content.IE5 folders for each profile..are you certain the one your program is referencing is the one you deleted?

If so, I would say that your demo is faulty, or perhaps the demo runs a scan and records a log file, but does not record changes to that log file...I am unfamiliar with that program

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
It's still there but in a hidden folder. You need to click on TOOLS--->FOLDER OPTIONS. Click on the VIEW TAB. Then click the radio button that says SHOW HIDDEN FILES AND FOLDERS. Click APPLY and OK and then go to C:\Documents and Settings\Default User\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files AND C:\Documents and Settings\LocalService\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files AND C:\Documents and Settings\NetworkService\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files

There are Content.IE5 folders in each of these locations.

Fenor

Edited by Fenor, 07 October 2005 - 10:06 PM.

scarletb79

scarletb79

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 81 posts
Hello,
thanks for your replies.

GERRYF: I'm referencing about the Content.IE5 connected to my profile (the most used): C:\Documents and Settings\Barbara\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5
I know there are more than one but the deleted one is that above.

FENOR: the "show hidden files and folders" option was already on.
The Content.IE5 folders regarding

Default User
LocalService
NetworkService

are ok and well clean, but when I go to
C:\Documents and Settings\Barbara\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files
that folder's not there anymore. I deleted it accidentally when manually removing the temporary Internet files.

By chance is it like the layout.ini file in the prefetch that even if deleted it's recreated after some boots (slowing down the puter)? Since there's a trick for the prefetch thing to create the file again straightaway, is there the same thing for Content.IE5?

I hope's that simple! :tazz:

Scarlet

Game_Freak

Game_Freak

banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 586 posts
Check your recycle bin.

Game_Freak

Game_Freak

banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 586 posts
Or just make a new folder name Content.IE5

scarletb79

scarletb79

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 81 posts

Or just make a new folder name Content.IE5

View Post

I cannot get back the file through the recycle bin now and I tried to create another folder with the same name but it doesn't allow me.

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
There is no need for the Content.IE5 folder to be in your actual USER NAME directory. I don't have one, having log ago cleaned it out because it's like I said, useless.

Fenor

Edited by Fenor, 08 October 2005 - 08:26 AM.

scarletb79

scarletb79

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 81 posts

There is no need for the Content.IE5 folder to be in your actual USER NAME directory.  I don't have one, having log ago cleaned it out because it's like I said, useless.

Fenor

View Post

Ok. How can I do to edit the content then? Thanks Fenor.

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Why would you need to 'edit the content' anyways??

Fenor

scarletb79

scarletb79

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 81 posts

Why would you need to 'edit the content' anyways??

Fenor

View Post

Sorry, I mean deleting manually the content of the Content.IE5 folder. If ther's a way to recreate that folder. I know it wouldn't be a problem without it but I'd like to have it back. Thanks.

Edited by scarletb79, 08 October 2005 - 09:17 AM.

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
It's already gone, there is no reason to undelete/remake it just so you can delete it again. If as you say the virus was in that directory then good because it's gone now.

Fenor

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Well, I thought about this for a bit and I am convinced you did not actually delete the folder.

How did you do it? You cannot delete the folder from within your own profile because the file is hidden from the explorer shell...the fact you are still getting the malware warnings makes me think that the folder is still there and you think you deleted it.

You need to log out and log back in as a different account with administrator privilidges, then go in to the other profile, and you can delete the folder (or the file).

If you want, you can delete the entire folder from the other account, log back out, log in, and the folder will be recreated when you start internet explorer.

scarletb79

scarletb79

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 81 posts

Well, I thought about this for a bit and I am convinced you did not actually delete the folder.

How did you do it? You cannot delete the folder from within your own profile because the file is hidden from the explorer shell...the fact you are still getting the malware warnings makes me think that the folder is still there and you think you deleted it.

You need to log out and log back in as a different account with administrator privilidges, then go in to the other profile, and you can delete the folder (or the file).

If you want, you can delete the entire folder from the other account, log back out, log in, and the folder will be recreated when you start internet explorer.

View Post

Actually I agree with you when you say that probably that folder's still somewhere. Spyware Doctor gave me the warning about some suspect items in this folder (inside temporaryinternetfiles\Content.IE5), I tried to delete them manually (deleting only the temporaryinternetfiles folder's content but the Content.IE5 folder had already been deleted so I couldn't delete what was inside of it because it was not there); Spyware Doctor still warned me for the same items with the same path so I went to the Internet Options and deleted the Temporary Internet Files (also the off line content) and problem solved! So I do agree with you. Now, I asked about how to recreate the folder because I'd like to manually delete the content without using Internet Options, because in a PC magazine I read not to delete the Content.IE5 folder and for other reasons. In my computer there are 2 profiles and my profile (called Barbara) had admin privileges but I don't know how to recreate it. The Administrator profile is choosable only on safe mode, I think. How could I do? Thank You. Scarlet

Edited by scarletb79, 09 October 2005 - 05:15 AM.