Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Trying to use windows update - get error

• Please log in to reply

Nightstryk

Nightstryk

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
Wow, i've never had this much trouble before...I'm up and running again but when I try to use windows update i get this message:

The website has encountered a problem and cannot display the page you are trying to view. The options provided below might help you solve the problem.

Error number: 0x80070424 :tazz:

Advertisements

Guest_1069_*

Guest_1069_*
Edit - sorry wrong thread :tazz:

Edited by 1069, 08 October 2005 - 03:06 AM.

Guest_1069_*

Guest_1069_*
There is a suggested fix here : http://www.alegsa.co...00x80070424.php

Can't vouch for it.

Pi rules

Pi rules

• PipPipPip
  • 634 posts
If that doesn't work, Open the Start Menu, click Run, and type Services.msc. Find Background Intelligent Transfer Service and change it's startup to Automatic. Then, turn it on if it isn't and try again.

Edit: Try turning your firewall off.

Edited by Pi rules, 08 October 2005 - 11:20 AM.

Nightstryk

Nightstryk

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

If that doesn't work, Open the Start Menu, click Run, and type Services.msc.  Find Background Intelligent Transfer Service and change it's startup to Automatic.  Then, turn it on if it isn't and try again.

Edit:  Try turning your firewall off.

View Post

I can't find any Background Intelligent Transfer Service to change, I am running windows 2000, is this only an XP thing? Also, turning off my firewall did nothing.

Pi rules

Pi rules

• PipPipPip
  • 634 posts
Did you try the other fix 1069 suggested? That one was the first thing I saw.

Nightstryk

Nightstryk

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
oops, I had missed that one. That fix along with a few other I found in my event logs have all been done and everything seems to be working great now. Thanks for all the help everyone!

Michael