Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

CD ROM Inoperable

• Please log in to reply

billpat34

billpat34

• Pip
  • 2 posts
CD ROM quite reading; replaced with CD R/RW, no success. Receive the following message: Windows cannot start this hardware device because its configuration information (in the registry) is incomplete or damaged (code 19).
Can you help, please?
Thank you.

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Hey billpat34!

The following is taken directly from the Microsoft Site HERE

Code 19
Windows cannot start this hardware device because its configuration information (in the registry) is incomplete or damaged. To fix this problem you can first try running a Troubleshooting Wizard. If that does not work, you should uninstall and then reinstall the hardware device. (Code 19)

Recommended resolution

A registry problem was detected.

This can occur when more than one service is defined for a device, if there is a failure opening the service subkey, or if the driver name cannot be obtained from the service subkey. Try these options:

On the General Properties tab of the device, click Troubleshoot to start the Troubleshooting Wizard. Click Uninstall, and then click Scan for hardware changes to load a usable driver. Restart the computer in Safe Mode, and then select Last Known Good Configuration. This rolls back to the most recent successful registry configuration.

billpat34

billpat34

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Fenor, thanks for responding. Here's an update. I replaced the CD R/W with the original CD ROM. (In the interim, I had to replace an HP printer, had to deal with issues with HP, made temporary changes to Startup and Services, etc. Since I dealt with 3 separate techs, I'm not sure my computer was returned to original state.) Anyway, harware check now indicates CD Rom is working properly. I tested audio CD - Dell Jukebox keeps requesting that I insert a CD. I tested a photo (pictures) CD - it worked properly. Thus, I now conclude the ROM is operable, however, not with Dell Jukebox. Jukebox will play music stored in library.
Any Ideas?
thanks in advance ... Bill