Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Log - several trojans have be reappearing [RESOLVED]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Trevuren

Trevuren

Old Dog

• Retired Staff
  • 18,699 posts
Now that the bad stuff shouls all be gone I suggest that you do an XP Repair.

Try here

http://www.geekstogo...ws-XP-t138.html

Windows XP repair feature won't delete your data, installed programs, personal information, or settings. It just repairs the operating system

Once you do this, we can look at whatever else needs doing

You will need to install everything from Microsoft Update after this to upgrade to your current standard.

Regards, and please let me know how it is going

Trevuren

Advertisements

KyloRilee

KyloRilee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
And the XP repair will fix this boot problem?

I just read the post that you referred me to, so I called from work to see if he has an XP CD, and he says that he does not. (He says that he never even got one.)

Is there a way to do a repair without a disc?

He also claims that there is something on his computer itself to recover/repair the Operating System, because his brother had found that setting once before when they too couldn't find the CD.

Does this sound right?

I'll see what I can do this evening after work. Thanks for your support.

Trevuren

Trevuren

Old Dog

• Retired Staff
  • 18,699 posts
It is possible, depending on the PC. Some come with a recovery image. I do not know if it will repair or replace everything.

Trevuren

KyloRilee

KyloRilee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
Just out of curiosity, are you familiar with this "CWS.MSConfig" ?

Is that a problem that will be fixed with the XP repair?

Trevuren

Trevuren

Old Dog

• Retired Staff
  • 18,699 posts
I am not that familiar with that variant. Inasmuch as you won't be doing a repair on that system because you will be re-imaging your partition (If I understood your explanation of what your father thinks is on his computer) the question is irrelevant. If it is in fact a re-imaging, you will lose all your data so you should consider doing backups of all important data before proceeding.

I hope this helps,

Trevuren

KyloRilee

KyloRilee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
Okay, well I was working with it all evening last night, and nothing could really work.

Since I don't have a boot disc, I tried a few other things.

When I hit the F8 key, I tried to use the "Last good configuration" setting, but that didn't work. That and when I hit the F10 key to try to do a System Recovery, a got another blue screen error, this one saying something like "check for viruses."

Since this may not be a malware problem any longer, should I take this topic to another subforum?

Any advice?

Trevuren

Trevuren

Old Dog

• Retired Staff
  • 18,699 posts
Yes I will close this thread with an annotation to the effect that you will be opening a new thread in the Windows Forum.

If they need to refer to our work together, they know that they just have to pull up the topic.

I am sorry you had so much trouble with your machine and hope that they can avoid you a complete reformat.

Regards,

Trevuren

Trevuren

Trevuren

Old Dog

• Retired Staff
  • 18,699 posts
Since this issue appears to be resolved ... this Topic has been closed. Glad we could help. :tazz:

If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread.

Everyone else please begin a New Topic.