Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Boot issues

• Please log in to reply

gopness

gopness

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Computer was working well, until I brought it to a friend's house for some LAN action. When I got there, however, my computer wouldn't boot. It wouldn't post (no beep), and there was no display, although all the fans were running and the drives sounded like they were ready to go.

After a rather frustrating time at my friend's house, I brought my computer back home and tried fixing things myself. Strangely enough, I was able to get the computer to boot into the BIOS at least. I think this was right after I tried reseating my CPU. However, I got a HDD error and the second time I rebooted, I was back to where I started - no post, no nothing.

I have tried reseating every connection on the motherboard, resetting the CMOS by using the jumpers AND by removing the battery. I followed the steps listed in http://www.geekstogo...oot-t67949.html and still nothing.

It doesn't seem like the power supply. It is running and seems to be getting power to the rest of the components.

I have visually inspected every piece, and everything looks great: no dings/scratches or ANY kind of visible damage.

The real problem is that my set-up:

Intel Prescott 3.0 GHz CPU
1GB Patriot DDR2 400 MHz memory
ATI All-in-Wonder X600 PCI Express video card

won't fit in any of my old computers to test components one by one. In fact, I don't know anyone with a box that would be able to help as a tester.

To me, this feels like a CPU or Motherboard problem. But how do I know which component is to blame?

Advertisements

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Welcome to G2G

Can you tell me what motherboard you have (make/model) & whether you are using an IDE or SATA hard disk?

gopness

gopness

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Welcome to G2G

Can you tell me what motherboard you have (make/model) & whether you are using an IDE or SATA hard disk?

View Post

ECS PF4 Extreme Motherboard
and it's a SATA HD

(sorry I didn't say so before)

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
OK, I don't know how many of the following procedures you have already tried but I would like you to repeat them anyway :

(please wear a static strap or discharge your static before opening up the case)

Disconnect power lead

Disconnect Internal ATX connector (PSU to motherboard)

Remove any PCI cards you have installed

Remove & reinsert the video card & the RAM

Disconnect all drive (hard disk/CD/floppy) cabling from the motherboard but leave the power connected to the CD & floppy drives.

Disconnect any Internal USB or Firewire header leads from the motherboard

Clear the bios by setting the jumpers on JP1 & JP10 to the clear position. Leave in this position for 30 seconds then return to their normal position.

Reconnect the main ATX connector to the motherboard & remember to connect the 4 pin CPU connector also (ATX12V) to the motherboard

Reconnect mains power & start the system up again. Check to see if the keyboard lights flash up quickly just after powering on, as well as any beeps you may hear from the system speaker

Let me know what happens

gopness

gopness

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I followed your steps.

I don't get any beep - just fans and lights, and there are no lights on my keyboard (or optical mouse for that matter).

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Ok, there's a couple more things to try. You can try these in either order or both at once :

1. Either try a different power supply or test the current power supply on another system. I realise that the fans etc are coming on but this doesn't mean that the psu is ok.

2. Remove the motherboard from the case (leave the cpu in the board for now). Make a note of where each of the front panel connectors plug in to before disconnecting them.
Place the motherboard on a pile of matt paper or card so that the entire of the underside of the board is isolated. May sure you have the memory & video inserted but nothing else. Connect up the monitor & keyboard only (use ps2 keyboard in preference to USB if possible). Connect the 24pin ATX power connector & the 4 pin ATX12V power connector to the motherboard. Also connect the floppy & CDROM drives up to the power only (no data cables & no hard disk).

If the soft power switch connecter from the front of the case won't reach the motherboard, you will have to use a small flat bladed screwdriver - with the power supply on, just briefly touch the 2 soft power pins on the motherboard with the tip of the screwdriver. As soon as the fans come on, remove the screwdriver. Be careful not to touch anything else on the board as you do it.

If you still don't get anywhere, then remove all the memory modules & the video card & try again. You should hear some beeps.
If not, then remove the cpu & reinsert it. Check that the orientation is correct. Also renew the thermal pad/tape is you can. Double check that the cpu fan is connected to the cpu fan header (not the system fan header etc) & try again.

Remember to disconnect both the ATX connectors each time before removing/reinstalling parts.

Let me know what happens

gopness

gopness

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I removed the MoBo from the case and tried everything both with my power supply and with a different power supply. No difference in behavior.

If you still don't get anywhere, then remove all the memory modules & the video card & try again. You should hear some beeps.

I didn't hear any beeps.

If not, then remove the cpu & reinsert it. Check that the orientation is correct. Also renew the thermal pad/tape is you can. Double check that the cpu fan is connected to the cpu fan header (not the system fan header etc) & try again.

View Post

OK, I'm about to try this part, but as far as renewing the thermal paste, should I try to remove the paste I currrently have? Or just put a little more on?

Thanks

gopness

gopness

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
OK, I tried reseating the CPU and this time I was a little more aggressive making sure the heatsink was snug.

Now if I try to boot without the memory or video card, I get long, repeating beeps that don't stop until I turn the power supply off.

I can duplicate these beeps with the video card in and no RAM. However, with no video card and RAM in DIMMs 1 and 2, there is no beep. Same if I have the video card in. There is also no beeping if I just have one stick of memory in (I tried this with both of the sticks independently).

There are a couple of other things I observed after doing this:
The keyboard lights flash when I turn on the PSU and before I press the power button on the case, but don't flash when I press the power button on the case.
There is a bright blue light on the front of my case when I press the power button that comes on now, but I didn't see it before.

So confused...

gopness

gopness

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
bump :tazz:

jimmysmits

jimmysmits

• Pip
  • 9 posts
I'm having VERY similar problems with a new PC I'm building.

Same situation with the long beeps with no RAM, keyboard flashing independently of system power on, etc.

Can it be some kind of mixed-up wiring with the ATX providing power to the keyboard before it should even get it?

Very strange and frustrating. :tazz:

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Gopness:

The beeping without graphics or RAM is normal.

Beeping with graphics and no RAM is also normal, as would be beeping with no graphics and RAM.

Your board has an Award BIOS, Award BIOSes like to print messages on screen for problem areas instead of beeping. When it does beep it's usually trying to tell you about a problem with your video card because obviously it can't print anything on the screen.

jimmysmits:

If the keyboard lights are flashing, it's usuually a sign that its trying to alert you to something. But some keyboard operate indepdently of the state of the system anyway, especially those which aren't powered from the system itself. What board have you got?

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
jimmysmits :

Welcome to G2G. Could you start your own topic please repeating the description of your problem. We get confused if we have to deal with more than one person per topic! Thanks

Samm

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
gopness:

Everything you described in your last post sounds fairly normal. I assume though that you still don't get the display coming up on screen?
Try it again with the video card & one stick of ram installed but reseat the video card & clear the bios again first & let me know what happens.

andybertie

andybertie

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Had to add my bit. I have had this exact same error with the same MOBO.......TWICE.

No resolution. I have had two "no quibble" replacements from the supplier. The only thing close to a fix I could come up with.

Good luck!

:tazz:

sonofswift

sonofswift

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi,
I had a very similar problem. Came across an article in a PC magazine about leaky capacitors. Checked out my mobo and sure enough - 4 capacitors were bulging and leaking brown stuff. A friend had a similar problem, replaced the 4 caps and it was back to normal - about $6 and an hour to fix.
Try: http://www.tecnopoli.../leakycaps.html
Regards, Sonofswift