Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

No Audio Device

• Please log in to reply

Nike

Nike

• PipPip
  • 36 posts
I've seen a lot of people with this problem and no one solution that always solves it. I feel like I've tried just about everything. And, yes, before you ask, it's enabled in Services. I've also uninstalled and reinstalled the driver several times and can't seem to get rid of the "Media Control Device" driver that the troubleshooter made me install. The error message I get from WMP says that I either don't have a device or it's in use by another program. The whole Volume tab in Sound and Audio Devices is grayed out.

This happened after I had to uninstall SP2 the first time. Worked fine right up until that. I'm thinking I should try reinstalling XP, but don't know if that will really do any good. Surely there is a fix for this...

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Easiest thing for you to do is to do a Repair Installation of Windows XP. Don't worry all of the programs you have installed will still work and none of your settings or files will be lost. This will just replace the operating system files (C:\WINDOWS).

Fenor

Nike

Nike

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
I was desperately hoping that would work, but it doesn't seem to have affected the problem except in a strange way. I now have many more items listed under devices. Still the same situation other than that. Should I reinstall SP2 or try to fix the problem first?