Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Building a home theater box for college

• Please log in to reply

humorsavesmysoul

humorsavesmysoul

• PipPip
  • 49 posts
I am in the process of building a box for our apartment so we can watch movies, listen to music etc. Heres wat we have now:

P4 1.5GHz Socket 478
MSI MicroATX 845 Pro4 mobo
agp graphics
tv-tuner
sound blaster sound card
40GB hard drive
networking cards
case with incompatible power switch connector to motherboard

here are my options: hard wire the front switch connector to the mobo, buy a new case and power supply or just get this from tigerdirect:

http://www.tigerdire.....u=M452-2432 B

and sell my current processor, mobo, case on ebay.

i've already put about 60 into the current config...another case and psu would run me at least another 50. i haven't even takin into consideration shipping 8(
i'm really tempted to go ahead and buy the barebones kit from tiger and sell all the other [bleep] i don't need on ebay. is that the best choice at this point?

Advertisements

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
The specs seem alright for watching movies, for gaming they wouldn't do. But the simplest and cheapest alternative is to get a case, even a good used case, that will connect to the mobo properly. Or just get the right type of connector and rewire it. First things first, always get the mobo manual, usually in .pdf format.

humorsavesmysoul

humorsavesmysoul

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
lol yea i tried to find the mobo on msi's site, couldn't find it, not really a problem cause the board is marked anyway. anyway yea, it's only for recording and watching tv...and maybe some stepmania :-P. i know the specs are more than adequate. only reasons i was considering the barebones was b/c it was cheap and everything is compatible with each other(tired of looking for compatible parts) also the cost of everything i've bought already plus a case isn't really worth putting more money into since the barebones+processor is just over 100 bucks. but i may have worked out the issue with the case jsut now, the power wires line up...i think