Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Connect with dialup but can't see web pages

• Please log in to reply

asilvius

asilvius

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
I can connect with a dialup isp but can't view web pages. This laptop is running WinME.
IE 6
home net working
wirless and also cable connections. They both work fine but dialup can't see pages
I have tried the following:
repaired IE
uninstalled communications
Uninstalled TCP/IP
Reinstalled both.
unistalled ICS
verified all connections with ISP
repaired winsock
The message I get at bottom of page on IE is either "bad request" or " Cannot find server or DNS error Internet Explorer" I have received both errors.
I dropped on ISP after 8 techs and 1 & 1/2 hours on chat. Now the 2nd ISp can't slove either.

HELP I need this only because one place I travel doesn't have any other connections.

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
While connected to your ISP, try going to START-->RUN and type in: command Once the new window opens type in: ping www.rr.com

See if you get a response or if you get a REQUEST TIMED OUT.

Fenor

asilvius

asilvius

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
I get nothing but a blank hyper screen

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
You get nothing when you type in: command after going to START-->RUN?

Fenor

asilvius

asilvius

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
sorry I didn't do the command
After typing the ping www.rr.com I get
unknown host www.rr.com

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Go HERE and download HiJackThis. Then run it and do a system scan. Then click SAFE LOG and then copy/paste the log into a post on here or attach the file itself.

Fenor

asilvius

asilvius

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 1:15:03 PM, on 10/9/2005
Platform: Windows ME (Win9x 4.90.3000)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2800.1106)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\KERNEL32.DLL
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSGSRV32.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SPOOL32.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MPREXE.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\mmtask.tsk
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SSDPSRV.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\EXPLORER.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SYSTRAY.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\ADSUBTRACT\ADSUB.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\WMIEXE.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\LINKSYS\WIRELESS-G NOTEBOOK ADAPTER\ODHOST.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\LINKSYS\WIRELESS-G NOTEBOOK ADAPTER\WPC54CFG.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\STIMON.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\DESKTOP\HIJACKTHIS.EXE

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://omaha.cox.net/cci/home
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Local Page = C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Stationery\Blank.htm
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Window Title = Internet Explorer Provided by Cox High Speed Internet
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings,ProxyServer = http=AdSubtract:4444
R3 - URLSearchHook: (no name) - {D6DFF6D8-B94B-4720-B730-1C38C7065C3B} - (no file)
O2 - BHO: CheckIt 86 - {82DF1118-9B92-45d8-B78F-1737A69A06E1} - (no file)
O2 - BHO: Google Toolbar Helper - {AA58ED58-01DD-4d91-8333-CF10577473F7} - c:\program files\google\googletoolbar2.dll
O3 - Toolbar: &Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSDXM.OCX
O3 - Toolbar: &Google - {2318C2B1-4965-11d4-9B18-009027A5CD4F} - c:\program files\google\googletoolbar2.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SystemTray] SysTray.Exe
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [SSDPSRV] C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\ssdpsrv.exe
O4 - Startup: Wireless-G Notebook Adapter Utility.lnk = C:\Program Files\Linksys\Wireless-G Notebook Adapter\Startup.exe
O4 - Startup: AdSubtract.LNK = C:\Program Files\AdSubtract\adsub.exe
O6 - HKCU\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Control Panel present
O8 - Extra context menu item: &Google Search - res://C:\PROGRAM FILES\GOOGLE\GOOGLETOOLBAR2.DLL/cmsearch.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: &Translate English Word - res://C:\PROGRAM FILES\GOOGLE\GOOGLETOOLBAR2.DLL/cmwordtrans.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Cached Snapshot of Page - res://C:\PROGRAM FILES\GOOGLE\GOOGLETOOLBAR2.DLL/cmcache.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Similar Pages - res://C:\PROGRAM FILES\GOOGLE\GOOGLETOOLBAR2.DLL/cmsimilar.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Backward Links - res://C:\PROGRAM FILES\GOOGLE\GOOGLETOOLBAR2.DLL/cmbacklinks.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Translate Page into English - res://C:\PROGRAM FILES\GOOGLE\GOOGLETOOLBAR2.DLL/cmtrans.html
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {2887F316-8C6C-47ae-A462-D2C9739D2C3D} - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SHDOCVW.DLL
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: CheckIt &86 - {2887F316-8C6C-47ae-A462-D2C9739D2C3D} - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SHDOCVW.DLL
O9 - Extra button: Related - {c95fe080-8f5d-11d2-a20b-00aa003c157a} - C:\WINDOWS\web\related.htm
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Show &Related Links - {c95fe080-8f5d-11d2-a20b-00aa003c157a} - C:\WINDOWS\web\related.htm
O16 - DPF: {D27CDB6E-AE6D-11CF-96B8-444553540000} (Shockwave Flash Object) - https://download.mac...ash/swflash.cab
O16 - DPF: {2119776A-F1AD-4FCD-9548-F1E1C615350C} - http://www.stop-sign...scandl_cnry.cab
O16 - DPF: {CB50428B-657F-47DF-9B32-671F82AA73F7} (Photodex Presenter AX control) - http://www.photodex.com/pxplay.cab
O18 - Protocol: relatedlinks - {CD8D1CAA-FE4A-45DF-A06C-028AAF1821DE} - (no file)

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
You say you use a dialup ISP, but yet one of your entries (R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Window Title = Internet Explorer Provided by Cox High Speed Internet) shows that you at one time at least, if not now, had high speed Internet. Who is the providier for your dialup internet? And when you try to connect to it, do you dial a number or do you just open IE?

Fenor

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
One other thing, what does it say in the Title Bar in Internet Explorer when you first open it? Look at the attached file and you'll notice mine says:

Blizzard Entertainment - Microsoft Internet Explorer

Fenor

Attached Thumbnails

• IE.JPG

asilvius

asilvius

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
I use the cox cable when at home. I have picked up an account with dialup4less.com to use when I am at the one location I visit that doesn't have any high speed.

When I just attempted to connect through the dial up which has been connecting since last night to get the title bar. I now can't connect through it. Did hijacker cause this?

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
You should still be able to open up Internet Explorer, just click cancel when it tries to connect to the Internet, and read what it says in the Title Bar.

Fenor

asilvius

asilvius

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Sorry I have to catch a plane. I will be out of town until Tues, but appreciate any suggestions you post in the mean time. I think you are on the right track. Now I have to figure out why I can't connect.

later
as

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
What I'm thinking is that you had software installed when you first got Comcast Broadband Internet service, and it took over IE which is not allowing you to view webpages when connected to your dialup ISP.

We will continue this when you get back, just post a reply to this topic so that I get a notification email that you replied to it.

See ya Tuesday!

Fenor

asilvius

asilvius

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

What I'm thinking is that you had software installed when you first got Comcast Broadband Internet service, and it took over IE which is not allowing you to view webpages when connected to your dialup ISP.

We will continue this when you get back, just post a reply to this topic so that I get a notification email that you replied to it.

See ya Tuesday!

Fenor

Fenor

I am back and ready to slove. You are correct that when I connect using my dial-up ISP (they offer no soft ware) The IE that opens sa7ys provided by Cox High Speed Internet (my cable provider).

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts

Fenor

I am back and ready to slove. You are correct that when I connect using my dial-up ISP (they offer no soft ware) The IE that opens sa7ys provided by Cox High Speed Internet (my cable provider).

Try going to C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer and opening the iexplore.exe located there and see if it still says the same heading at the top.

Fenor