Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

CD-RW will not burn

• Please log in to reply

vegasjoe

vegasjoe

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
I have a Lite-on CD-Rw that will read cd's but will not burn them anymore. I use to have Windows ME installed on this computer, but have upgraded to XP. When I try and burn a CD-R a message appears that states to put a Blank CD-R in the drive, although there is on in there. I use Memorex Cd-R and have tried 3 different one still no luck. I have tried windows media and Burn & Go X to burn.

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Hi vegasjoe!

What I suggest you do is uninstall and then reinstall yur CD R/W drive. To do this, right click on MY COMPUTER, click PROPERTIES, click on the HARDWARE tab, then click the DEVICE MANAGER button. Then click the '+' symbol next to DVD/CD-ROM DRIVERS, then right click the entry for your CD R/W drive and choose UNINSTALL. Then reboot your computer and let windows re-detect it and re-install the drivers for it. Post back if this solves your problem or not.

Fenor

P.S. -- What software are you using to burn cd's?

vegasjoe

vegasjoe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
I unistalled the CD-RW from device manager already, it rebooted and found new hardware. But it still does not work? When the computer was purchased it had Windows ME and Adapatec easy cd creator installed, every thing work fine. The problem started when I loaded XP, adaptec would notwork with XP. I have tried the Media Player that comes with XP to copy cd's and I also purchased Burn & Go X. Either way I try and burn it says "please insert blank CD-R" but there is one in already.

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
Have you gone to the Lite-on website to see if there are any drivers you need? And how about the Microsft update site?

in_texas_dallas

in_texas_dallas

• PipPip
  • 77 posts
It has nothing to do with XP or your drivers or your DVD burner

It has to do with the burning software... It is incompatible with XP or is not intended for that device with XP.. Something like that.. I had the same problem.. Try NERO

vegasjoe

vegasjoe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
I spent about an hour or so on the phone with Microsoft support, They had also Unistalled my CD/RW from device manager, after a reboot they had me try and burn a cd it worked? they hung up. But it only worked that one time? now it's back to saying insert blank cd/r? I have unistalled and rebooted again but no luck it still does not work. I have also tried Burn & Go X software no luck? What is NERO?

I also have a problem with rebooting now, when I boot up the system it gets to the XP home screen (with the little blue thing going back and forth) after 2 to 3 seconds it reboots itself. It then goes to a black screen that asked if I want to start in safe mode or normal. After I hit the enter key ( it does not matter if I choose Safe or normal ) it does the same thing over and over again. This will happen 4 to 7 time untill finally it will load all the way.

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
Try this, don't insert the cd until it tells you to. If you put the cd in before the software is running it may cause the problem.

vegasjoe

vegasjoe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
I waited like you asked, no difference. I also noticed that the drive light stays on a long time (60 to 75 seconds) when you close the cd draw. I dont think it took that long when it used to work ( when I had ME installed , I may be wrong)

vegasjoe

vegasjoe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
??

bdlt

bdlt

• PipPipPip
  • 876 posts
are you still having a problem? if so, what have you tried since your last post?