Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Page Cannot Be Found?!?!?!

• Please log in to reply

Resident_Blonde

Resident_Blonde

Formerly known as "Crafty_Girl"

• PipPipPip
  • 558 posts
HI :)

Ok, bare with me as I try to explain my issue.

Beginning of this year, I signed onto my Electric Company account so that I can pay my Electric Bill online. After the second month of paying online, when I signed in and waiting for the new page to come up I get this error page:

The page cannot be displayed
The page you are looking for is currently unavailable. The Web site might be experiencing technical difficulties, or you may need to adjust your browser settings.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please try the following:

Click the Refresh button, or try again later.

If you typed the page address in the Address bar, make sure that it is spelled correctly.

To check your connection settings, click the Tools menu, and then click Internet Options. On the Connections tab, click Settings. The settings should match those provided by your local area network (LAN) administrator or Internet service provider (ISP).
If your Network Administrator has enabled it, Microsoft Windows can examine your network and automatically discover network connection settings.
If you would like Windows to try and discover them,
click Detect Network Settings
Some sites require 128-bit connection security. Click the Help menu and then click About Internet Explorer to determine what strength security you have installed.
If you are trying to reach a secure site, make sure your Security settings can support it. Click the Tools menu, and then click Internet Options. On the Advanced tab, scroll to the Security section and check settings for SSL 2.0, SSL 3.0, TLS 1.0, PCT 1.0.
Click the Back button to try another link.

Cannot find server or DNS Error
Internet Explorer

At that time, I called my Electric Company and they said that they dont have any webpage issues, and then they signed into on the website using my ID and password and they were able to sign in just fine. I had my mom try and sign in, and she was able to sign in just fine as well as my best friend. :)

So with them having my ID and Password, they gave me a new one to go onto the site and redo my ID and Password. But still not being able to sign in, I ended up having to cancel my online bill pay account.

So, after time goes by, and my puter acting strange to where I was not able to get on the net, I did a reformat of the puter, (two months ago)

So I thought to go ahead and try signing onto the Electric Co. Site again, got a new ID and password, everything worked GREAT! And now, two months later, I'm getting the same error page AGAIN :) (Electric Bill due on the 27th :) )

So, for last nights issue that is really making me pull my hair... :tazz: I needed to get onto our 401K account, well I was able to get on the MAIN page of the sight, but when I clicked on the area for signing in, I get the same darn :) error page.

Can SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME correct this issue?!?!? Is this with my settings? Is it something to do with AOL?

Please Help

P.S. I have also tried going throught IE to see if I can get onto my accounts, but still same error page.

Thanks

Staci

Edited by Resident_Blonde, 09 October 2005 - 12:23 PM.

Advertisements

brendandonhue

brendandonhue

• PipPipPip
  • 180 posts
Does the web page address start with https:// by any chance?

If so, does this page work for you?
https://banquo.inf.e...7/ssl_test.html

Resident_Blonde

Resident_Blonde

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 558 posts
I'm not sure hun, but I will give it a check... Thanks.. I'll let you know.. :tazz:

Resident_Blonde

Resident_Blonde

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 558 posts
If your asking if the HOME page of the sights that I am going to starts with HTTPS:// ..NO, they are HTTP://

Staci

Resident_Blonde

Resident_Blonde

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 558 posts
I found this while doing a search for my issue.. I would like someone who can tell me if this would be a smart move or not on my part by doing what this says to do?

Thanks so much for ANY and ALL help!

Staci

http://channels.lock..._web_site.phtml

When you try to log on to a Web site by using Microsoft Internet Explorer 6, you receive the following error message:

The page cannot be displayed.

The page you are looking for is currently unavailable. The Web site might be experiencing technical difficulties, or you may need to adjust your browser settings.

This symptom occurs even when the hard disk has sufficient available space for caching Web content.

CAUSE
This issue occurs when the Index.dat file in the following folder reaches a size of 16187392 bytes:

<Drive>: \ Documents and Settings \ <User_name> \ Local Settings \ Temporary Internet Files \ Content.IE5
Notes

<Drive> is the drive on which user profiles are stored.
<User_name> is the name of the current user.
To resolve this issue, delete the Index.dat file.

[Continue reading Microsoft Knowledge Base article 907479]

You won't be able to delete index.dat if you are logged on as the user who's getting the error message - you have to log on as a different user to delete the file. See KB293402 for details.

Resident_Blonde

Resident_Blonde

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 558 posts
Found this fix, What does a tech think?

http://support.micro....com/kb/293402/

This article was previously published under Q293402
SYMPTOMS
When you attempt to open a Web page by using Internet Explorer, you may receive the following message:
The page cannot be displayed

The page you are looking for is currently unavailable. The Web
site might be experiencing technical difficulties, or you may need
to adjust your browser settings.
CAUSE
This problem may occur because of the existence of a corrupt or damaged Internet Explorer index file.
RESOLUTION
To resolve this problem, delete the Index.dat file in Internet Explorer: 1. In Internet Explorer, on the Tools menu, click Internet Options.
2. On the General tab, under Temporary Internet files, click Delete Files.
3. On the Delete Files dialog box message that is displayed, click OK.
4. Under History, click Clear History.
5. On the Delete all items in your History folder? dialog box, click OK.
6. Quit Internet Explorer.
7. Log on to the computer by using the account of a user who does not experience the problem, and then open a command prompt.
8. Change the directory to the following path:
drive:\Documents and Settings\username\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5
9. Type del index.dat, and then press ENTER.
10. Exit the command prompt and then restart the computer.
The Index.dat file is re-created the next time that you log on to the computer.
MORE INFORMATION
When this problem occurs, you should be able to confirm a connection to the Internet using by TCP/IP command-line utilities, such as ping and tracert.

You may be able to open the Web page when logged on to the computer as another user.

Guest_1069_*

Guest_1069_*
Hi,

You seem to have done a great deal of research on this one. Before you go down the road of deleting index.dat files try this first:

Go to Control Panel > Internet options> Privacy > and click on Edit.

Enter the exact address of the website that you are trying to access, then click allow.

This should override any cookie handling settings that you may have which are affecting the site.

Also:

Control Panel > Internet Options and on the General tab select Delete Cookies.

I also found on one bank's site that they require your system to be set to the correct Date (not sure why) it will do no harm to check - Control Panel > Date&Time

Edited by 1069, 09 October 2005 - 04:08 PM.

Resident_Blonde

Resident_Blonde

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 558 posts
Hi again 1069,

My date and time are both correct with my my town and state. So not for sure actually what is needed to be done compaired to (having them at the same time and date of the web sights) ?

And I did go into and add the two web sights in the Edit area, but still nothing has changed. I also cleaned the systems Cookies, History and Temp. Interent Files.

But when I did the Edit and added the websites on my system, and then clicked ok, the puter froze so I click Ctrl/Alt/Delete and this is what happend.

BLACK SCREEN.

Start up options;

2. Logged (\BootLog.TXT)
3. Safe Mode <~~~ (Highlighted)
4. Safe Mode with Netwwork Support
5. Step by Step Confirmation
6. Command Prompt Only
7. Safe Mode Command Prompt Only

Warning: Windows did not finish loading on the pervious attempt.
Choose safe mode, to strt windows with a minimal set of drivers.

HIMEM is testing extended memory...done.
Windows XMS Driver Version 3.95
Extended Memory Specification (XMS) version 3.8

Error: HIMEM.SYS has detected unreadable XMS Memory at address 00F00000 XMS Driver not installed.

Continue starting your computer, press Enter.

(Pressed ENTER)

BLACK SCREEN (again)

HIMEM.SYS is missing make sure that the file is in your windows directory.

Windows has stopped. Press Ctrl/Alt/Delete to restart computer.

And now here I am ... And the web sights still give me the same error page.
Any other thoughts on what to do?

Thanks,

Staci

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hey Resident_Blonde...

Do you have your Java enabled and is it up to date? How about pop-up blockers like Google Toolbar? I've seen similar issues in which one or both of these guys was the culprit.

wannabe1

Mad Man

Mad Man

banned

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
This could be most likely malware blocking access to websites! Is it one site or just random?