Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

re-installing XP

• Please log in to reply

klockdoc

klockdoc

• PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
I have read your column. Very helpful. However, I have a different problem. I tried to reinstall XP because of mnumerous errors and problems.

I got part way through the repair, then the computer shut down with a power outtage. When I tried to reinstall the XP pro, it comes up with "There is already a version of XP setup running" It will only run after finishing that version first!

It will not pick up where it left off.

When the computer first boots, it comes up with a screen that says, Start up using XP Pro, or start up using XP Pro setup.

Can I just reinstall XP totally? I am willing to erase the hard drive and accomplish this, but can not arrive at a c:\ prompt.

It only gives me the option of windows with a c: prompt, but that still won't work because windows is running.

Otherwise, it reverts back to the other setup is running.

Help?

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Hi klockdoc!

Boot from the CD, when asked to 'Press any key to boot from CD,' press a key and it will boot from the CD. Press ENTER on the first screen you have to enter some input. Then on the next screen press F8 to agree, on the next screen that appears, click ESC to install a fresh version of XP. On the next screen, highlight the partition that windows is currently installed on and hit 'D' to delete the partition. On the next two screens that appear, hit ENTER and 'L' respectively. Then once you are back at the page that shows the partitions, highlight the unpartitioned space and hit C. On the next page hit ENTER. Once you are again back at the page that shows the paritions, highlight the partition you just created and hit ENTER. Format with NTFS, not NTFS (Quick). Your hard drive will then be formatted at a rate of about 1GB/minute, so a 20GB hard drive will take roughly 20 minutes to format. Then the setup files will be copied to your hard drive. Then your computer will be rebooted. Don't press ANYTHING while it's rebooting because you want to boot off the hard drive and NOT the CD like you did before. If you do nothing setup will continue and then just follow along with the prompts for entering your name, your Product Key, setting the time zone, using typical settings, etc.....

If you have any problems or questions while doing this, please log onto a computer with Internet access and post them in this thread.

Good luck!

Fenor