Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

SP Pro won't run Repair

• Please log in to reply

westreich

westreich

• Pip
  • 4 posts
XP will not run repair, and I am wondering whether there is something that I can do other than a re-install. Appreciate your thoughts.

Background:

-After finally clearing malware the system kept displaying:

"Internet Explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience."

IE didn't close, it just kept re-displaying the warning every time you clicked on the warning.

-In safe mode there were no problems.

-Attemped to repair XP from CD and when it rebooted it now crashes with the following message:

PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA

Technical information:

STOP 0x00000050 (0xF7C59884,0x0000001,0x85CF7355,0x00000000)

-Starting in safe mode is not now an option as it says that set up cannot run in safe mode.

Question:

* Is there something that I can do, such as cancel the set up, or am I doomed to do a fresh re-install?

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi westreich...

Restart the computer with the XP cd in the drive.
When the "Welcome to Setup" screen appears, press R to start the Recovery Console.
If you have a dual-boot or multiple-boot computer, choose the installation that you need to access from the Recovery Console.
When you are prompted to do so, type the administrator password. If the administrator password is blank, press "Enter".
At the command prompt, type chkdsk /r, and then press "Enter".
When Chkdsk has finished running, read the results, and then take any necessary steps to complete the process. For example, you may be prompted to run chkdsk /f to fix certain problems.
Restart the computer, and then try to run the Repair again.

Let us know how it goes....

wannabe1

westreich

westreich

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thanks for the advice however

-Still no go with reparining XP

chkdsk /r in recovery console stated that it fixed several things, but the result is still the same PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA; Technical information: STOP 0x00000050

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy and welcome to G2G:

Are you not running the "Reapir" using the XP cd to boot from??

Take a look at This Tutorial !!

Murray

westreich

westreich

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thank you for taking the time to help.

I did the repair earlier...the repair goes through the process and then says that windows will reboot...when it reboots, it starts to run set-up...that's when I get the error message and have to stop.

The problem seems to be that XP Pro is stuck trying to run set-up and normal mode won't let set-up run. So the XP won't boot up in normal mode and I can't boot in safe mode now that set-up is trying to repair XP Pro.

If I could get set-up to completely boot without crashing we would be good to go. Or if I could cancel the set-up and boot in safe mode I might be able to find out what process is having difficulty.

Again, the problem seems to be that I can't run set-up for the XP Pro repair. Since I don't know how to cancel the set-up, I can no longer boot in safe mode with set-up running to see if I can identify the offending process.

Thanks to all.

Edited by westreich, 11 October 2005 - 11:28 AM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
westreich...

When your machine boots, do you ever get an options screen that lists both your XP installation and an XP setup installation? If you do, use the arrow keys to select the XP installation...not the setup which it will try to run by default. Press "Enter" to continue.

If you get the XP running, we can "permanently select" the operating system that will start.

wannabe1

westreich

westreich

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Have the option of booting from CD iby hitting any key, else XP just runs until the "windows has stopped" warning.