Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

IE Saving as .jpeg instead of .jpg

• Please log in to reply

lineinasong

lineinasong

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
I've been googling this problem for a while now. Not until recently, my IE browser started saving files at .jpeg instead of .jpg. I figured at first it was the image files on the website but now it happens to all files, including ones I know have been uploaded as .jpg. This makes it pretty frustrating when I'm trying to locate files and keep forgetting that it has been saving them as .jpeg. When I right click and do save as, it says the file name then type is JPEG image (.jpg) but the file extension is .jpeg. I tried clearing my temporary internet file cache but that didn't help. If anyone could help me figure out how to get it back to the .jpgs, that would be great. I tried messing with the folder options/file types but it did no good. Then again, maybe I just didnt know what to do. Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

Advertisements

Roobokau

Roobokau

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi lineinasong. Funny thing, I noticed the exact same problem tonight. I don't know exactly how it was repaired but I had two versions of ACDSee on my system and uninstalled the older version and re-associated JPG images. So while I fixed the problem I don't can't seem to find a way to recreate it in order to give you an answer.
NB. I have been through the registry and cannot figure out what changed BUT found this Microsoft article. It offers a solution to "Internet Explorer saves images as bitmaps (.bmp Files)"
It may help. Please let me know if it does

http://support.micro...kb;en-us;810978

chirp

chirp

• PipPip
  • 93 posts
Hey, is there a reason to why you want it jpg instead of jpeg becuase (to my knowledge) they are exact same thing. Maybe the website has saved it as jpeg instead of jpg