Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

how to detect a bad hard drive?

• Please log in to reply

t3ddyb3ar21

t3ddyb3ar21

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
I am restoring a computer for a friend. My problem is it takes hours to restore windows xp home. i have done the installtion before and it never took this long, do we need to purchase a new hard drive? Its a dell Dell Dimension 4550, not 100 percent sure but no more then 4 years old and no newer then a year. When I get to the select language pop up during the installation, the mouse lags and the computer key board typing lags a great deal.

any help is appreciated. thanks!

Advertisements

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
Since you've probably already removed Windows I'd say go to the HDD makers site and download diaagnostic tools to a floppy. Dell usually uses Maxtor, but check to be sure, if so you can get Power Max and install it to a floppy. If you have windows now you can install MaxBlast4 and run it's diagnostics. If it's another brand go to that makers site.

t3ddyb3ar21

t3ddyb3ar21

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
okay thanks i will try it out.

t3ddyb3ar21

t3ddyb3ar21

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
kinda old thread but, i totaly did checks and i find out its probably the motherboard.