Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Lost HD space - Windows XP

• Please log in to reply

tsutz005

tsutz005

• Pip
  • 6 posts
The other day i spent the afternoon updating my software. There is a whole lot of it. I introduced an enormous number of variables, most of which cannot be undone. I need a more organic solution to my problem which is as follows:

My Computer is showing that i only have 5 gb of my 20 gb hard drive free. This is not the case, before i updated everything there was only 10 gb used and i only downloaded 60 mb or so. When i highlight and check the properties of the drive it only shows it half full at 10 gig as it should be.

I have ruled out the following:

Cluster size - The cluster size is still the same. "size" is 10.5 gb and "size on disk" is 10.6 gb. At 4k, the cluster size is almost perfectly optimized.

Disk surface error - I ran check disk to search for bad sectors. There is zero kb of lost clusters and no surface errors.

Page file - The page file is set at the pre-update size of 1.2 gb. I have it set large on purpose, but it is no different than before and should not have made a difference. This is not excessively large given the amount of ram i have.

System restore - This is set at 200 mb not the root of my problem

Hidden files or partitions - I checked for hidden files or mystery partitions - no significant quantity of hidden files and no partitions.

When i go to optimize it, the map shows it at 15 gb.

I am lost and have exhausted my ideas. help! Ideas? This is driving me nuts. Any questions feel free to email me [email protected] Thanks

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Hi tsutz005! Welcome to G2G!

It is possible that there is some malware on your system. Run through the self-help tests HERE.

If after running all the self-help tests you are still having problems, then please post a HJT log in the Malware Forum.

If, after given a clean bill of health from the malware expert, you are still having problems, then please return to THIS thread and we will consider other options to help solve this problem.

Fenor

Edited by Fenor, 10 October 2005 - 05:54 PM.

tsutz005

tsutz005

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I went through the whole page of "to do's." (I already use most of this software and own copies.) Here is the HJT results, i have not made any changes to any of this stuff, your recommendations are welcome. None of the other programs came up with anything of substance. Thank you again.

C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\Security Console\NSCSRVCE.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\devldr32.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\Nmain.exe
C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Desktop\spybotsd14.exe
C:\DOCUME~1\ADMINI~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\is-IQDLN.tmp\is-AQ6G2.tmp
C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\M5WP43IT\HijackThis[1].exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Window Title = Microsoft Internet Explorer
O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 6.0\Reader\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: Norton Internet Security 2006 - {9ECB9560-04F9-4bbc-943D-298DDF1699E1} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\AdBlocking\NISShExt.dll
O2 - BHO: NAV Helper - {A8F38D8D-E480-4D52-B7A2-731BB6995FDD} - C:\Program Files\Norton Internet Security\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
O3 - Toolbar: Norton Internet Security 2006 - {0B53EAC3-8D69-4b9e-9B19-A37C9A5676A7} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\AdBlocking\NISShExt.dll
O3 - Toolbar: Norton AntiVirus - {C4069E3A-68F1-403E-B40E-20066696354B} - C:\Program Files\Norton Internet Security\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ccApp] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [DiskeeperSystray] "C:\Program Files\Executive Software\Diskeeper\DkIcon.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [KernelFaultCheck] %systemroot%\system32\dumprep 0 -k
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ctfmon.exe] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MSMSGS] "C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe" /background
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Norton SystemWorks] "C:\Program Files\Norton SystemWorks\cfgwiz.exe" /GUID {05858CFD-5CC4-4ceb-AAAF-CF00BF39736A} /MODE CfgWiz
O6 - HKCU\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Control Panel present
O8 - Extra context menu item: &AOL Toolbar search - res://C:\Program Files\AOL Toolbar\toolbar.dll/SEARCH.HTML
O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\Office10\EXCEL.EXE/3000
O16 - DPF: {01010E00-5E80-11D8-9E86-0007E96C65AE} (SupportSoft SmartIssue) - http://www.symantec....trl/tgctlsi.cab
O16 - DPF: {01012101-5E80-11D8-9E86-0007E96C65AE} (SupportSoft Script Runner Class) - http://www.symantec....trl/tgctlsr.cab
O16 - DPF: {04E214E5-63AF-4236-83C6-A7ADCBF9BD02} (HouseCall Control) - http://housecall60.t...all/xscan60.cab
O16 - DPF: {1F2F4C9E-6F09-47BC-970D-3C54734667FE} (LSSupCtl Class) - http://www.symantec....sa/LSSupCtl.cab
O16 - DPF: {406B5949-7190-4245-91A9-30A17DE16AD0} (Snapfish Activia) - http://photo.walgree...eensActivia.cab
O16 - DPF: {6414512B-B978-451D-A0D8-FCFDF33E833C} (WUWebControl Class) - http://v5.windowsupd...b?1109643329604
O16 - DPF: {644E432F-49D3-41A1-8DD5-E099162EEEC5} (Symantec RuFSI Utility Class) - http://security.syma...n/bin/cabsa.cab
O16 - DPF: {CE28D5D2-60CF-4C7D-9FE8-0F47A3308078} (ActiveDataInfo Class) - http://www.symantec....rl/SymAData.cab
O16 - DPF: {FE0BD779-44EE-4A4B-AA2E-743C63F2E5E6} (IWinAmpActiveX Class) - http://pdl.stream.ao.../ampx_en_dl.cab
O23 - Service: AOL Connectivity Service (AOL ACS) - America Online - C:\Program Files\Common Files\AOL\ACS\AOLAcsd.exe
O23 - Service: AOL TopSpeed Monitor (AOL TopSpeedMonitor) - America Online, Inc - C:\Program Files\Common Files\AOL\TopSpeed\2.0\aoltsmon.exe
O23 - Service: Ati HotKey Poller - ATI Technologies Inc. - C:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
O23 - Service: Autodesk Licensing Service - Autodesk, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Autodesk Shared\Service\AdskScSrv.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Event Manager (ccEvtMgr) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccEvtMgr.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Internet Security Password Validation (ccISPwdSvc) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Norton Internet Security\ccPwdSvc.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Network Proxy (ccProxy) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccProxy.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Password Validation (ccPwdSvc) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccPwdSvc.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Settings Manager (ccSetMgr) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSetMgr.exe
O23 - Service: COM Host (comHost) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Norton Internet Security\comHost.exe
O23 - Service: Diskeeper - Executive Software International, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Executive Software\Diskeeper\DkService.exe
O23 - Service: GoBack Polling Service (GBPoll) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Norton SystemWorks\Norton GoBack\GBPoll.exe
O23 - Service: LexBce Server (LexBceS) - Lexmark International, Inc. - C:\WINDOWS\system32\LEXBCES.EXE
O23 - Service: Norton AntiVirus Auto-Protect Service (navapsvc) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Norton Internet Security\Norton AntiVirus\navapsvc.exe
O23 - Service: Norton Ghost - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Norton SystemWorks\Norton Ghost\Agent\PQV2iSvc.exe
O23 - Service: Norton Unerase Protection (NProtectService) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Norton SystemWorks\Norton Utilities\NPROTECT.EXE
O23 - Service: Norton Protection Center Service (NSCService) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\Security Console\NSCSRVCE.EXE
O23 - Service: Symantec AVScan (SAVScan) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Norton Internet Security\Norton AntiVirus\SAVScan.exe
O23 - Service: SIIRemote - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Minuteman\SIIRemote\SIIRemote.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: Symantec Network Drivers Service (SNDSrvc) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\SNDSrvc.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec SPBBCSvc (SPBBCSvc) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\SPBBC\SPBBCSvc.exe
O23 - Service: Cryptainer service (ssoftservice) - Cypherix - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\ssoftsrv.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Core LC - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\CCPD-LC\symlcsvc.exe
O23 - Service: SymWMI Service (SymWSC) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\Security Center\SymWSC.exe

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Even though I told you to post that HJT log in the Malware Forum, I have noticed something. You don't need diskkeepertray to run when your computer starts. To remove this, go to START-->RUN and type in: msconfig Click on the STARTUP tab and uncheck the box next to DISKEEPERSYSTRAY.

Then reboot your computer and see if the problem still exists.

Fenor

tsutz005

tsutz005

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Any other ideas? This is kicking my butt. I am anal and this is knawing at me like crazy. Nothing on the list above jumps out at me. I am stumped. Thanks again, i really appreciate your time.

Tim

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
I would suggest uninstalling diskeeper, that could be conflicting with windows defragger. After uninstalling it I would recommend doing a defrag using the built-in defragger that came with windows (START-->ALL PROGRAMS-->ACCESSORIES-->SYSTEM TOOLS)

Fenor

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi tsutz005

See if this Microsoft Article is of any assistance. I have a fairly recent install of XP on my machine, and the size reported is almost 150 MB more than the actual space on disk even though the cluster size on my disk is also "optimized"....

wannabe1

tsutz005

tsutz005

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Thanks, I already did everything in that article. I used that one specifically. My initial inquiry covers what measures i have taken so far, including everything listed there. Any other thoughts? I am still missing 5 gig somewhere and it is driving me up the walls.

tsutz005

tsutz005

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
ladies and gentlemen, i think i figured it out. For some reason the system files are not being counted in the contents of the folders when i highlight the contents of my C drive. Any idea why the system files wouldnt all of a sudden? The space was not lost but counted in one estimate of free space and not in the other. How do i get them to be counted? I tried going to the tools menu and enabling the display system files option - no dice. thoughts?