Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Log out....gone 5 min....back....cursor goes crazy

• Please log in to reply

AAWWFF

AAWWFF

I cant listen to directions

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
I live in a dorm room with 2 others so when I leave I usually logout, well actually i go to switch user, just so it asks for a password the next time. But it seems if I stay in that screen and leave it alone for like a few minutes the cursor shifts up a few inches from where it's supposed to be. I can tell because if I put the cursor a few inches above an icon it will highlight it. When I restart the problem is gone, but I want to be able to protect my computer without shutting it down.

Advertisements

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
When you walk away press the windows key (between control and alt on the left) and L to lock the computer. It will prompt for a password on resume.

Johanna

AAWWFF

AAWWFF

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
Sank you very much.

AAWWFF

AAWWFF

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
But isn't the screen I go to the same as if I selected switch user, I'll have to wait and see. But thanks for that shortcut, it's very helpful, I also found other shortcuts using that key, like minimizing, starting my computer, and starting run.

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
When you "lock" your account, Windows continues to work on whatever it was doing, but the system will accept no intrusion until the password is given. When you go to the "switch user" screen Windows prepares to launch a second account, and begins to shut down or idle the account you plan to return to.

You could have dust or crud in your mouse, electronic interference (esp if wireless) or a cat trying to log on...possibilities are endless, so I have no idea if this will help your unwanted cursor dance. But, it will save your system from unecessary wear and tear and will speed help the system performance.

For a list of WinKey and other shortcuts look at the XP Tweaks sticky in the top of this forum.

Johanna

AAWWFF

AAWWFF

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
It's still doing the same thing even with WIN+L