Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Help with cpu cooling

• Please log in to reply

lkreab

lkreab

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I picked up an Abit BF6 motherboard a few years back. For nothing better to do this year I decided to try make a pc using that board. I bought a cpu from EBAY quite cheap. It came with a large heatsink. The only slot 1's I had seen before had a fan, heatsink all enclosed and attached to the cpu. I can't add a fan to this HS as there are clips in the way and the space in the pc wouldn't allow it. Would this be considered a passive heatsink; will it work without a fan? Should I try to dissasemble the cpu and add a different cpu fan/HS? How do I do that without damaging the cpu?

Advertisements

tazz1964

tazz1964

• PipPipPip
  • 608 posts
HI
Can you link any pics of what you have? without seeing it its hard to say what you have and what can be been about it I'll look around to see if I can find any info on it.
:tazz:

lkreab

lkreab

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thank you for the offer but no I don't have a photo. My best description would be a slot 1 processor that has a set of aluminum fins (about 1 inch high and 3/4 the length of the processor). There are clips which hold the fins onto the processor and these clips go through the processor. Since the unit is too wide to support a regular cpu fano, I was wondering if I am correct that this would be called a passive heatsink. The only other slot 1 processor that I have seen had a shallower HS/fan which made a sandwich with the cpu. :tazz:

tazz1964

tazz1964

• PipPipPip
  • 608 posts
Hi
I have not seen a HS without a fan. thats why I was asking for the pics this is what I find looking around on what you should see is one fan in the mid of the HS.
Pic of one on ebay
:tazz: