Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Lost window XP start, desk top icon etc

• Please log in to reply

DOU12

DOU12

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
During the process of removing the virus on WININET.dll using Kaspersky program, something went wrong and it messed up the system. When the XP is up, the only thing shows is the desktop screen. All the start, desktop icons, taskbar are gone. The mouse does not function either. The only thing worked was Ctl/Alt/Delete.
I got my IBM pc (XP home edition) about 4 years ago. It did not come with any window XP CD. I called the IBM support and was told it would cost about $50 to order an XP recovery CD. I ended up got one XP recovery CD from a friend who has a IBM XP pc also. There is no Repaire window feature in the CD. In this CD, there are two features - Full Recovery and System Utilities. The Full Recovery will re-install the XP and wipe out all the data. I use the Interactive test in the System Utilities to run the mouse test, and it shows the mouse is not installed. I hate to run the full recovery due to the fact I will lose all the data.

Can any window expert help to get my window XP back? Appreciate your help.

Advertisements

OwNt

OwNt

Malware Expert

• Retired Staff
  • 7,457 posts
After reading your post again...did you post this with a different computer? You may need to do a Windows XP Repair to fix that. (Disregard the instructions below if this is the case.)

If it asks for a cd-key during the repair enter the one on your computer.

$50.00 bucks for a cd they should of included. That's bull.

Kaspersky may have quarantined or deleted wininet.dll - you can try using an automated program to replace it, or we can try download a new one and swapping it.

Try trying this This.

Also, were you being helped with this happened? I recommend you post a log in the malware forums if your still have problems with that stuff.

DOU12

DOU12

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
The CD I have is Window XP Recovery CD. Isn't it true that I need an original XP CD to repair the window XP? I do not have it. I did not post this problem on Operating System Forum before. I did post it on Malware forum, and was suggested to post it on Operating System forum here.
Right now, the first thing I need is to get my window back. Without the "start", there is nothing I can do once the system is up except Ctrl/Alt/Del. Then again, I don't have the XP CD. XP recovery CD is all I have.

OwNt

OwNt

Malware Expert

• Retired Staff
  • 7,457 posts
Ah, still didn't read your post close enough. :tazz:

The CD I have is Window XP Recovery CD. Isn't it true that I need an original XP CD to repair the window XP?

Yes, you will need an original xp cd to do it.

did post it on Malware forum, and was suggested to post it on Operating System forum here.

Ok, just wanted to make sure there wasn't malware still there, or is there malware and they suggested getting wininet fixed first?

You may want to print these instructions out.

You can try downloading wininet.dll from Here. Put that onto a cd, and then also download Killbox Here.

Put the cd into the computer with this problem.

Use Ctrl/Alt/Del to get to task manager, click File > New Task (Run...)
Type in the letter of your cd-rom drive, when that opens extract the wininet.dll file to C:\

Open killbox, select Replace on Reboot
On the first bar type in C:\Windows\system32 (If your windows installation is on another drive, please substitue that letter.

On the second bar type C:\wininet.dll

Click the red X on killbox, click yes at the first question. If it doesn't ask you to reboot, do so manually from ctrl/alt/del.

DOU12

DOU12

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
There are some new findings. I am able to open a CLP(command line process) window through task manager. So I can execute the DOS commands there. I can see \WINDOWS\system32\WININET.dll file, but don't know if it is good or not. As for Killbox, I already ran it last week when there was Trojan-py.HTML.Smitfraud.c malware. I got rid of that before I got Bloodhound.W32.EP virus on WININET.dll.

I also see the Kasper program that downloaded last week - kav5.0.388trial_personalen.exe with 13,864,800 bytes. Wondering if it can be executed on the command window, or is it risky to do that?
Are there some commands I can try on command window to fix the XP window problem? Thanks.

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Hi DOU12!

What I suggest you do is download the Recovery Console that can be put on a CD, which you can download from HERE. Once you download it you will need to burn the image to a CD using Nero or another program you may prefer more that allows you to burn cd images using an iso file.

Make sure you have wininet.dll file downloaded from the link given above by OwNt and put it on a floppy disk.

Once you have RC.iso burned on a CD and wininet.dll on a floppy disk. Put the CD with the Recovery Console on it and reboot your computer. When asked 'Press any key to boot from CD,' press a key and let it boot from the CD. When asked what version of windows you want to log into, press '1' since there will be most likely only one listed. For the administrator password just hit ENTER because it is most likely blank.

Once at the command prompt, type in the following:

DEL c:\Windows\System32\wininet.dll

Now go to your floppy drive by typing: A: at the command prompt. Once there type in the following:

COPY wininet.dll c:\Windows\System32

You will get confirmation in the form of '1 file(s) copied' if you typed it correctly.

Once this is done, type EXIT and your computer will exit the recovery console and reboot.

Let us know how things went.

Fenor

DOU12

DOU12

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Thanks to both OwNt and Fenor.

I tried OwNt's suggestion to run Killbox and chose Replace on Reboot. After the system rebooted, the file c:\wininet.dll was deleted, but c:\windows\system32\wininet.dll was still the old file. It was not replaced with the new file.

Then I tried Fenor's suggestion. It took a while to burn RC.iso to CD as bootable.
I rebooted the system with the Recovery Console on it. It did not prompt me with 'Press any key to boot from CD,' neither it asked what version of windows it was. It went all the way until the following lines showed on the screen.

Caldera DR-DOS 7.03
[DR-DOS] A:\>

At that point, it stuck there. I had to turn off the power to get out.

I am totally confused now.

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
When at that 'A:\' type HELP and tell me what appears. I've never had to boot from a Cd with recovery console on it, so I don't know if it works the exact same as the normal recovery console or not.

Fenor

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
And DON'T have the floppy disk in the drive while trying to boot from the CD with the Recovery Console on it because your computer will most likely try to boot from the floppy first.

Fenor

DOU12

DOU12

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
[DR-DOS] A:\>

I could not type in any character when the system booted and showed the line above.
There was NO floppy disk inserted when the system booted.

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Is there absolutely no one that you can borrow an xp cd from so that you can try what I suggested you to do above?

Fenor

DOU12

DOU12

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Unfortunately, no so far. It is kind of ridiculous that I purchased this window XP pc, but I don't have a copy of window XP CD. Well, still looking until I give up and re-install the XP from scratch. Unless someone has other solution..