Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer Won't Recognize Keyboard XP

• Please log in to reply

hysteria

hysteria

• PipPipPip
  • 164 posts
I'm using the 'on-screen keyboard' to type -- which sucks.

tried 3 diff keyboards ... same thing

was working fine earlier.

device manager says usb port may be damaged? -- "unknown device"

circle-port keyboards dont show up on device manager

here's some screenshots:

Posted Image

click on that^ and get this:

Posted Image

Posted Image

tried uninstalling the unknown... it just starts you back at the beginning

help me please :tazz:

logitech keyboard usb

and tried 3 other old ones

lights on keyboard turn on... that's it

thank you,
dan

Advertisements

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
Topic- USB Keyboard - HYSTERIA
Date- 11th Oct-2005
Poster – HYSTERIA -

Hi – I see you are using a cordless USB Mouse – How about the Keyboard – Is it a Logitech Mouse & Keyboard Set – Are they wireless using network card or what – maybe needs calibrated (??)

Usually these things happen when you receive a {Windows Update] - & - automatically download & install – Do you recall any recently [Windows Updates] – like just before your problem -

I can give you a little tool that can help you when using [DEVICE MANAGER] – It will let you view all the [Non Present Devices] – Which can aid you immensely when tracking down USB Issues – It is a (2 Step) process that only needs to be done (1 time) –( Step – 1) - Set [Folder Options] to [Show Hidden Files & Folders] – (Step – 2) - Set [Device Manager] to [Show Non Present Devices]

Step – 1 Open [Control Panel] and set [Folder Options] to show [Hidden Files & Folders] – (1 time process)

(1) – Click [Start] Button
(2) – Scroll up to [SETTINGS] > Click on [CONTROL PANEL]
(3) – Open [Folder Options]
(4) – Click on [VIEW] Tab
(5) – Scroll down to [Hidden Files & Folders]
(6) – Click the [SHOW HIDDEN FILES & FOLDER] Option
(7) – Deselect OPTION – [Hide Protected OS Files – Recommended]
(8) – Click [OK]
(9) – Close [Control Panel]

Step – 2 Prep [DEVICE MANAGER] to view [Non Present Devices] –( 1 time process)

(1) – Right Click [MY COMPUTER] > Click [PROPERTIES] on Drop Down Menu –
(2) – Click [ADVANCED] Tab – (on System Properties)
(3) – Click [ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES] Tab -
(4) – Under [SYSTEM VARIABLES] Section – Click [NEW] Tab –
(5) – In [NAME] Section – Type – devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices
(6) – In [VALUE] Section – Type the number 1
(7) – Close out by Clicking [OK] Tabs – 3 Times – (3 levels/panels to close)
(8) – Click on [START] Button > Then click on [RUN] –
(9) – Type – devmgmt.msc – and then Click [OK] – This will open [DEVICE MANAGER]
(10)– Click [VIEW] on Menu > Click [Show Hidden Devices] on Pop Down Menu –
(11) – View [Hidden Devices] – Indicated by Faded Gray Print – (Close when completed) – (Now [Device Manager] is now set to view [Non Present Devices] – (NOTE) – You MUST set the [View Option] – [To Show Hidden Devices] – EACH time after opening [Device Manager]
(12) – Restart Computer – (To ensure a good [Initial] beginning -

Now Open [Device Manager] in Normal manner & Set [VIEW] options to [SHOW HIDDEN DEVICES]

Standard Process to Open [DEVICE MANAGER] with [Show Hidden Devices] Option set -

(1) – Right Click [MY COMPUTER]
(2) – Browse down [Menu] to [Properties] > Double Click to Open Properties Page
(3) – Click on [HARDWARE] Tab
(4) – Click on [Device Manager] Tab
(5) – Click on [View} on Menu Bar
(6) – **Click on [Show Hidden Files]**
(7) – Expand Folders as reqyired
(8) – You need to double left click or right click each line to reveal additional info
(9) – [Non Present Devices] will be denoted by –(Light/faded gray print)

** Step 6 will have to be set to [Show Hidden Files] on each opening of [Device Manager] **

Now Browse thru – you need to Expand Folders & either Left Double Click or Right Click all lines to see more info – you are now looking for the – [Muted/faded gray] Devices and any Yellow Warning Signs or have a Bold repeated instance of same name –

If you do have a faded gray instance & bold instance – That is indicating that either 2 Drivers are installed or you have some remains of a previous Driver –

Now you will see a lot of Non Present Devices – That is ok – you just don’t want to see many with the same name – These [Non Present Devices] (The Proper Ones) are kind of a place Holder for PnP when the Device is either [TURNED OFF] or [DISCONNECTED] – so that whenever – they are turned ON or CONNECTED – PnP will NOT try to reinstall – The devices will simply play/function as usual – [EXAMPLE] – You do not always Turn Printer ON – but when you do – you just want it to print – Not to be reinstalled each time – So when you do Turn the Device off – You will see the transformation of [Device Present] to [Non Present] – change from Bold to Faded gray –

This is more evident with USB Devices than with non USB – USB Devices are PnP Compliant –

Anyway see if this brings out any clues as to what is happening – with USB – If nothing else you will be able to see some USB Problems/Issues by using [Device Manager] set to [Show Non Present Devices] – Just remember to set [VIEW OPTIONS] to [See Hidden Devices]

Now – Look for your Keyboard [Non Present USB Device] Instance - (Faded Gray) – Double Click - & try to reinstall Driver – If you are lucky – It will be the Keyboard [Instance] that had last working Driver before the [UPDATE] –

Sometimes just by connecting to a different USB Port – PnP will [FIND New Device] – I see by [Device Manager] your USB Chipset is SiS – Just a note – SiS Host Controller Interface is noted to have some of these [Strange USB Issues] – No big problem – just requires some work around ideas –

And sometimes just cleaning up these [Non Present Devices] Instances – Your USB problem goes away –
I am not sure why – but sometimes these [Non Present Devices] block/confuse PnP from finding the proper Driver –

It is just a matter of finding the [Correct Sequence] – Every time you uninstall a USB device & reinstall – you can create another Instance of a Non Present Device – So at least with this [TOOL] – You can see what is happening – Also you can now see some of the [Unknown Devices] & [Not working Devices] that you never were able to see before – You can now – at least clean up this mess -

I just cannot give you a [Direct Repair Procedure] that will work each & every time – Now another problem with USB –

Did you just recently add a [New USB Device] such as a Camera or WebCam or USB Drive – sometimes with these Controllers – (Ali – SiS –VIA) Chipsets – The earlier Installed devices – cease to function – And by cleaning up these Non Present Devices & doing a Reinstall helps –(??)

I haven’t put it all together – yet – but I am working on it -

Jack123

hysteria

hysteria

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 164 posts
Hey Jack,

Thank you for your help. I followed what you had said, and it did help me recognize a few things.
However, my keyboard was another issue. I just bought a new one, and it works fine now (Another Logitech - I think the software was just needed). I really appreciate your help. I do have one question though: I now have all of those hidden and temp. files all over my computer and my desktop, and I would like to have them hidden, is there a way to reverse what you told me so that I won't see those? They just cause clutter which I don't need. It did help me at the time, though.

Thanks!
Dan

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
Topic-Remove [Show Hidden Files] & [Show Protected Files] Options when viewing Files & Folders –
Date – 14th Oct-2005
Poster- Hysteria

Glad to hear Keyboard is working –

I was trying to help FIND the – Software – but what you did solved your problem -

OK – To remove the showing of [Hidden Files] & [Protected Files] – perform steps **6** & **7** below -

Step1 – Open [Control Panel] and Set [Folder Options] to
1– NOT SHOW – [Hidden Files & Folders]
2 – Select Option – [Hide Protected OS Files – Recommended]

(6) – **Click the [DO NOT SHOW HIDDEN FILES & FOLDER] Option **
(7) – **Select – OPTION – [Hide Protected OS Files – Recommended] **
(8) – Click [OK]

And to keep [Device Manager] from showing [Non Present Devices] – JUST – DO NOT SELECT :
. . . the . . >[Show Hidden Devices] < . . . Option. . . . Just Open & Run . . .[Device Manager] . . .

Have a Good Day –
Jack123

hysteria

hysteria

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Topic-Remove [Show Hidden Files] & [Show Protected Files] Options when viewing Files & Folders –
Date – 14th Oct-2005
Poster- Hysteria

Glad to hear Keyboard is working –

I was trying to help FIND the – Software – but what you did solved your problem -

OK – To remove the showing of [Hidden Files] & [Protected Files] – perform steps **6** & **7** below -

Step1 – Open [Control Panel] and Set [Folder Options] to
1– NOT SHOW – [Hidden Files & Folders]
2 – Select Option – [Hide Protected OS Files – Recommended]

(6) – **Click the [DO NOT SHOW HIDDEN FILES & FOLDER] Option **
(7) – **Select – OPTION – [Hide Protected OS Files – Recommended] **
(8) – Click [OK]

And to keep [Device Manager] from showing [Non Present Devices] – JUST – DO NOT SELECT :
. . . the . . >[Show Hidden Devices] < . . . Option. . . . Just Open & Run . . .[Device Manager] . . .

Have a Good Day –
Jack123

Thank you for your help! I did have faith in you, however, my parents had wanted an excuse to get a new keyboard anyways. So it's no big deal. I'm sure you could've helped me to figure it out on my own.

Thanks Jack!
-Dan