Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Trojan.Vundo woes...

• Please log in to reply

loophole

loophole

Malware Expert

• Retired Staff
  • 9,798 posts
That looks good ,:tazz: How is the computer running now?

Advertisements

TheDouglas

TheDouglas

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
seems to be running well
i am going to restart it and see how it is doing now (fingers crossed)

i think what may be slowing it is actually all the virus/trojan/security programs i now have running, haha.

what would you recommend keeping?

i was using norton antivirus and zone alarm

and have heard that microsoft's antispyware program is good
and i have the free demo of ewido (i think thats the name)

but what would be the best combo to use? i have the subscription paid for norton, and zone alarm and microsoft are free. what should i have running and what don't i need?

i also would like to say how amazing the help from this site has been. it may seem like a simple thing to you, but i am so afraid of destroying my system by messing with the programming and you walked me through it calmly and simply. it would be well worth a subscription and i wish i could afford to make a donation right now. i hope to be able to when my next paycheck comes, because the site and all who work here are a godsend.

what you can do with computers i can do with shakespeare, so i can appreciate what knowledge and skill it takes to make it look simple.

thank you for what you have already done, and in advance for any advice you can give on further security,
TheDouglas
(restarting now...)

loophole

loophole

Malware Expert

• Retired Staff
  • 9,798 posts
You can uninstall Ewido now. Its just a free trial and may help a little with your speed

Norton is fine for an anti-virus as long as you keep it updated

I highly recommend Spywareblaster <= SpywareBlaster will prevent spyware from being installed.
Uses no system resources. Just download it ,click check for updated and then click enable all protection.

Zone Alarm is fine for a firewall. I personally like Sygate better and it is free but thats just personal preference.

I can see you already have Spybot which is a great program

I use Microsoft Antispyware and I like the program. give it a try

As always check for updates weekly with all of the above programs

Basically there wasn't much in terms of malware on your computer. This is a new infection and as you can see by looking at the boards at the forum it is really going around. Theres always a small chance of getting something unwanted on your computer.

Hope this helps :tazz:

Edited by loophole, 16 October 2005 - 05:35 PM.

TheDouglas

TheDouglas

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
how are winpatrol and trojanhunter?

loophole

loophole

Malware Expert

• Retired Staff
  • 9,798 posts
Umm I didnt see you already had microsoft antispy and trojan hunter. Those are both fine.

I would get spywareblaster and thats it :tazz:

TheDouglas

TheDouglas

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
coolness!

thank you again for your help, i will try my best to stay uninfected.

i doubt the virus will show up again, so do i have to do anything to "close" this topic, or are we just...done?

have a great week,
TheDouglas

Edited by TheDouglas, 16 October 2005 - 11:00 PM.

loophole

loophole

Malware Expert

• Retired Staff
  • 9,798 posts
I'll give it a day or to to make sure all is well then I will close it :tazz: