He has now asked me to post in the Windows Forum and ask you guys for your expertise. He said:
“I was thinking the same thing about C:\FOUND.018\FILE0001.CHK I'm pretty sure these are related to scandisk files I think. Ask the guys/gals in the Windows Forum and see what they have to say about all those FOUND.001 files and others. Ask them if it's ok to delete this one:
If it's ok, then post back saying so. I will give instructions to delete it if you can't delete it.
The computer has the follwing installed:
Microsoft Windows XP Professional Version 2002 Service Pack 2
Microsoft Word (10.4219.4219) SP2
This is the situation:
Files Created After AVG Virus Scan
After doing the final scan by AVG the result showed one infection only. It was:
C:\FOUND.018\FILE0001.CHK - Virus Dropper.Inor – Infection
It was shown as "healable" but on trying to carry out the "heal" action many times, the result still comes back as "Action to Heal Failed". I then moved it to the Vault.
I now have 6 files in the AVG Virus vault shown as:
5 Trojan Horses and
The Trojans are shown as “unhealable” but the Dropper as “healable”.
The "Files by Virus Name" AVG Summary shows them as:
(a) MS-DOS viruses;
(b) Trojan Horses; and
© Backdoor and Trojan Horses
Specific details of the six files shown in the AVG Virus Vault are:
1. Trojan horse BackDoor.Generic.LNX – C:\tmpUpdateFile.exe - source – backup copy
2. Trojan horse Agent.DM – C:\WINDOWS\_delete_on_reboot_jaaste.dll - source – backup copy
3. Trojan horse Dialer.Wl – C\WINDOWS\sasent.dll - source – backup copy
4. Trojan horse Dialer.17AW – C\Program Files\SBIT\Plugin\109998.exe - source – backup copy
5. Trojan horse BackDoor.Generic.LNX – C:\FOUND.030\FILE0004.CHK - source – backup copy
6. Virus found Dropper.Inor - C:\FOUND.018\FILE0001.CHK - source – Moved object
This seems to have created 32 Folders on the C drive named:
FOUND.002 and so on all the way to
The contents of these folders show files for example -
For the folder named FOUND.000 it shows files named:
and so on with the description "Recovered File Fragments".
I have not deleted them as yet.
This is the link to the discussion with Greyknight17 if you want further details of the action taken so far:
Your help would be sincerely appreciated.