Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

cd drive issue

• Please log in to reply

DarkStar

DarkStar

• PipPip
  • 41 posts
well it reads the stuff but it doesn't show.
like when u put a new dic in something pops up asking what u want to do with a few options, and when u go to my computer the cd things change the name to what ever dic is in there.
it does non of that, and i'm using dics thats been in there b4.

any ideas??

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Hi DarkStar!

A simple solution, that works for some and not for others is to just uninstall the CD-ROM drive and then let windows reinstall it. To do this, do the following:
  • Right Click MY COMPUTER and select PROPERTIES
  • Click on the HARDWARE tab and click the DEVICE MANAGER button.
  • Click the '+' symbol next to DVD/CD-ROM DRIVES
  • Right click on the CD-ROM drive listed that isn't working and choose UNINSTALL. Click YES/OK to any warnings that pop up.
  • Reboot your computer and let windows reinstall it automatically the next time windows starts.
  • After you get the message that your new hardware is installed and ready to use, reboot your computer again.
  • Then try to use the CD-ROM drive again and let me know what happens.
If this doesn't work, do you have your XP CD handy? If so, put it in your drive, reboot the computer and when the message pops up asking you to 'Press any key to boot from cd....,' press a key and see if it actually reads the disc.

Fenor

Edited by Fenor, 11 October 2005 - 07:26 AM.

DarkStar

DarkStar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
the first thing u told me to do worked, it workin just fine now, thankz.

btw i was wonderin, when i started this thing it had me make a dic thing, would that be counted as my xp cd??

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts

the first thing u told me to do worked, it workin just fine now, thankz.

Glad to hear it! :tazz:

btw i was wonderin, when i started this thing it had me make a dic thing, would that be counted as my xp cd??

View Post

What it most likely had you do is create some sort of restore CD that you can use in case of emergencies, but I wouldn't know for sure unless I knew the make and model # of your computer. Like a Dell Dimension 5000, etc....

Fenor

DarkStar

DarkStar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
i just found the dic and it say startup recovory.
thats the only dic i got, coz this sony didn't come with an xp dic.

thankz for all your help :tazz: