Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can't boot

• Please log in to reply

Kadhity

Kadhity

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
I am working on a friend's computer. It won't start completely. When I try to start it up, it hangs up at the windows loading splash screen. When booting in safe mode, it hangs up after starting ...\windows\system32\Mup.sys.

It will not boot from a floppy. It doesn't even give a command prompt.

Specifics of the system:
AMD Athlon XP 1500+
CPU speed 100
DRAM 133 Mhz (128 MB)
Maxtor HD (60 GB)

don't know what video and audio cards

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi Kadhity...

Have you tried booting to the "Last known good configuration' option? Do you have the installation CD?

wannnabe1

Edited by wannabe1, 11 October 2005 - 10:53 AM.

Kadhity

Kadhity

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
Yes, the last good configuration option fails at the same point as normal boot. I have the installation CD.

When I put the installation CD in, it attempts to install Windows. (so it will read from the CD-drive at least)

OwNt

OwNt

Malware Expert

• Retired Staff
  • 7,457 posts
Try This.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Kadhity...

Try this REPAIR to your installation of XP. This procedure will not damage or change your current files or settings...it will just repair or replace damaged system files. You will be asked for your Installation CD and may be asked for your product key. Follow the instructions carefully...print them out if you can. Note: This option is not always available on OEM Recovery Cd's

Let us know how it goes...

wannabe1

Kadhity

Kadhity

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
The setup freezes when it reaches the point of saying Setup is starting Windows. No luck

OwNt

OwNt

Malware Expert

• Retired Staff
  • 7,457 posts
Hello, Kadhity.

Are you sure it freezes there? I have seen some systems take a long time before they get past that screen.

Edited by OwNt, 11 October 2005 - 11:45 AM.

Kadhity

Kadhity

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
Yes it freezes there.

Edited by Kadhity, 11 October 2005 - 12:04 PM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Kadhity...

Have a look at this Microsoft Article on using the Recovery Console. This may be the next step to try.

wannabe1

Kadhity

Kadhity

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
Ugh. Gave it a shot. Didn't help. Think I'm too long staring at this. Gonna put it down for a day or so.