Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Image Saving Problem

• Please log in to reply

chinofeliz

chinofeliz

• PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
Hi everyone, since I haven't had any luck with my previous posts I hope this one would get some replies.

I'm using Windows XP Pro SP2 like most people do. Just recently I'm having trouble saving picture off the net. This doesn't happen all the time, but sometimes when I right click and select "save picture as..." it takes a while (4 sec?) then give me the dingle and says "the image already exists..." but I know as a matter of fact that was the first time I was trying to save the image.

Also a small proportion of my thumbnails have gone crazy. Now when I go into one of my friends' photo folder I see all the small thumbnails of JLo and some other webpage button I made the other week. It's really annoying as I've tried all the defrag, rebooting etc.

Could someone plz help? Has this got anything to do with virus/malware?

Cheers

Advertisements

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts
Hello

The you could try going
Start < run and typeing sfc /scannow This will give you a blue bar when it goes restart you computer. It replaces all corrupt files.

chinofeliz

chinofeliz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
Hey Michael,
Thanx buddy for the prompt reply. gosh I was trying my brain out to remember that "sfc /scannow" command I used it once or twice befoe but just couldn't remember it the other day when I thought about doing that as well.
Well, I've done what you suggested. And so far I haven't encountered image saving difficulty yet let's keep an eye on that. The crazy thumbnails were still crazy but guess what I did to fix it - I deleted the "Thumbs.db" and everything was back to normal and all the thumbnails were showing what they're supposed to display so that's good eh.
Thanks again.
Ciao

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts
I was going to ask you to delete the Thumbs.db if the thumbnails were still not working. I am glad you fixed it. I should fix it on my computer I just don't save pictures that often so I forget to do it. :tazz: I test so many things on my computer that I stuff it up all the time, then I format and start again.

chinofeliz

chinofeliz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
Hey Michael,
Buddy you know what, now I fixed this crazy display problem by deleting Thumbs.db right? And I also did the sfc /scannow thing that you recommended, dunno whether my system was missing something or not but it did take a while.
Disappointingly, the "image already exists..." problem came back to haunt me, it's like before. Doesn't happen all the time (and when it does I just need to press "yes <replace>" otherwise I'd have a non-previewable empty JPEG image on my drive), just happen occasionally and when it does it takes a while before it asks me. Really annoying isn't it?
Help me buddy with this nonsense.
Cheers buddy
Greetings from New Zealand :tazz:

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts
I am trying to work out what it is, But a few quick questions. Are you sure that the file of that name is dose not already exist? OR is it on new files that you are saveing for the first time?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
If you delete thumbs.db then open my documents, click tools, folder options, view to put a tick in do not chache thumbnails, click apply, it should stop creating thumbs.db

chinofeliz

chinofeliz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
Hey Keith, Thanx for your reply. Is your suggestion for messed up thumbnails? Thanx to you now I know how to stop the generating of thumbs.db, any other implications of this action? It doesn't help with the Image Saving problem, or does it?

Michael, hi, yeah I'm pretty sure the images I was trying to save were absolutely new to this computer and it was the very first time I tried to save them :tazz:... Thanx

Edited by chinofeliz, 13 October 2005 - 04:20 AM.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
I went by your previous bit about deleting thumbs.db and then it working

So not creating thumb.db should solve this after you have deleting it

chinofeliz

chinofeliz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
Yep, thanks buddy. I'm still having difficulty with the notification of "image already exists..." when I try to save new image into my computer though.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Click start then search and look for thumbs.db

Include hidden and system files

Open my documents then click tools, folder options, view to tick show hidden files

Look through folders with images and delete all the thumbs.db you find

chinofeliz

chinofeliz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
Yep buddy will try that. Might take a while since I've turned off the indexing service... Thanx Keith! :tazz:

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts
indexing service will not make searching any quicker, unless you are doing an advanced search.

Edited by Michael Buckley, 13 October 2005 - 04:49 AM.