Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Disk won't Boot

• Please log in to reply

silverfoxuk

silverfoxuk

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hello

ok, I think I'm stuck! Bought a new IDE disk drive to update my Dads PC (Dell P4). Thought I would just hook it up and use Ghost to clone from old disk to new. However I have a problem. The old drive won't boot into Windows. The errors are corrupt Boot.ini, then missing or corrupt Hal.dll, and also lsass.exe password problem. The lsass problem won't let me log into the drive in XP Recovery Console (my dad didn't have any passwords on his PC so why lsass.exe is an issue don't know). The drive is happy as a slave and I can see all the files, but can;t clone as I would be copying all the corrupt XP boot files as well. Checked jumper settings, they fine, also have run chkdsk /r from command prompt in windows, no problems there but I don't know how to deal with the booting problems or admin password prob.

I 'd rather not pass my Dads PC back to him saying "Heres your PC - your new disk is in but you'll have to reinstall all your old programs..." Can anyone help? As I said the drive is happy hooked up as a Slave.

Thanks
Nick

Advertisements

The_KiD

The_KiD

• PipPip
  • 94 posts
How are the partitions set up on the old drive and the new drive?

If any of the system partition is smaller than the previous then you will have problems.

Boot up with it as slave, use Disk manager to make the primary partition at least the same size as the old one then try re-imaging it.

Take a look at this simple guide: http://www.mysuperpc...d_drive_3.shtml

silverfoxuk

silverfoxuk

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

How are the partitions set up on the old drive and the new drive?

If any of the system partition is smaller than the previous then you will have problems.

Boot up with it as slave, use Disk manager to make the primary partition at least the same size as the old one then try re-imaging it.

Take a look at this simple guide: http://www.mysuperpc...d_drive_3.shtml

Thanks. I have cloned the whole drive successfully but also the corrupt XP boot stuff gets cloned as well meaning I then get the same boot probs on the new drive.

The_KiD

The_KiD

• PipPip
  • 94 posts
Ah sorry, I misunderstood the problem.

Unfortunately I think your a little screwed on this one then. IF you cant get into the recovery console or anything then you wont be able to repair the damaged files.

The only real option is to do a fresh install and reload the programs :tazz:

Unfortunately I think your a little screwed on this one then. IF you cant get into the recovery console or anything then you wont be able to repair the damaged files.

The only real option is to do a fresh install and reload the programs :)

The only real option is to do a fresh install and reload the programs :woot:

silverfoxuk

silverfoxuk

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

The only real option is to do a fresh install and reload the programs :tazz:

The only real option is to do a fresh install and reload the programs :)

Yep, looks like it - thanks for your advice.