Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Latest MS Hotfixes NOT Installing

• Please log in to reply

jasqid

jasqid

• Pip
  • 7 posts
I've attempted to install the latest security updates posted yesterday, through Microsoft Update and Manual Download. 7 of the 9 posted fail to install.

I tried several times through Microsoft update and they fail. So I went through MS download site and manually downloaded the files to install individually. When attempting to install individually, it slows on "Creating a Restore Point" and then begins to install only to fail with the error, "Failed to Install Catalog Files."

Through the MS Update site. It just says they failed. At least I was able to get an error doing it manually.

These are the files that fail:
KB902400
KB899589
KB900725
KB901017
KB905749
KB905414
KB904706

I just did a FRESH install Sunday morning using an image I updated with nLite and the hotfixes posted in the package at (I dont remember the site, but his package was for use with nLite and was dated AUG05) site. I am begining to wonder if this may be the cause of the catalog failures? Or at least, the update process has caused issues.?

When I did went through the nLite process, I applied the hotfix package and added my system drivers for my Asus A7N8X-Deluxe (SATA driver, nFOrce 5.10 drivers, and the 3COM lan driver. I did not remove any components.

Anyone else having issues? Or am I an isolated incident? I am going to try installing these from SAFE mode and see what happens.

I found some information here:http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=57942
that I am following. I think this will help other users with this problem. Will update...

I found some information here:http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=57942
that I am following. I think this will help other users with this problem. Will update...

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
are these the only updates it says you need? sometimes there is an update that is a prerequisite for the other updates....

jasqid

jasqid

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
I got it figured out with some reading.

It seems that if you used nLite with the RyanVM 1.3.1 AUG 2005 hotfix package and try to install these latest OCT security updates there is a Catalog Error during the install. Something about the maximum 150 catalog files limit is reached.

The seven updates listed above will not install unless you do this:

1. Stop the Cryptography Service from running.
2. Rename the CatRoot2 folder to CatRoot.BAK in the :\Windows\System32 folder
3. Reboot.
4. Check the services and make sure Crypto. Service is not running. (stop again if neccessary)
5. Delete CatRoot2.BAK
6. Delete everything inside the CatRoot\{127D0A1D-4EF2-11D1-8608-00C04FC295EE} folder EXCEPT the timestamp file.
7. Delete everything inside the CatRoot\{F750E6C30-38EE-11D1-85E5-00C04FC295EE} folder EXCEPT the Timestamp and SP2.CAT files.
8. Restart the Cryptography Servce.
9. Reboot

Updates should work, but 5 of the 7 failed again. KB899589 and KB905414 installed successfully. I rebooted again, and then the last 5 installed successful. All through the EXPRESS option of MS Update.

Edited by jasqid, 12 October 2005 - 12:59 PM.