Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Pop-ups include desktop shortcuts and IE windows

• Please log in to reply

Paul_628

Paul_628

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Subject: Adware pop-ups include desktop shortcuts and IE browser windows.

Dear GeeksToGo guys:

My Dell Dimension 2350 is HEAVILY infected with adware.

I am running WinXP(HE)SP2.

The following symptoms occur within seconds after my modem has finished dialing, even if I have not yet opened my browser (IE):

+ Shortcuts begin to pop up and populate my desktop (often linked to C:\Windows\icont.exe).

+ Browser windows (from various advertisers) begin to pop-up and open at a rate of several per minute.

+ Sometimes a MacromediaFlash item (usually a cartoon animated advertisement) appears in a LAYER that is always on top and cannot be moved.

The above symptoms occur whenever I am connected to the internet (even if my browser is NOT open). But they do NOT happen when I am offline.

In my efforts to solve this, I have already installed and run the following:

+ Google IE toolbar with pop-up blocker

+ Yahoo IE toolbar with pop-up blocker

+ Spybot - Search And Destroy (free version) - with latest updates

+ LavaSoft - Ad-aware Personal SE (free version) - with latest updates

+ Microsoft anti-spyware tool (free Beta version) - with latest updates

+ Symantec anti-virus - with latest updates

+ Installed Service Pack 2 (for WinXP-HE) and made sure that the firewall is enabled.

+ Ran MSConfig and reduced the number of auto-start items.

+ Used the Tools | Internet Options menu of InternetExplorer (IE6) to increase my security settings by requiring a prompt before running scripts, ActiveX, etc.

BUT NONE OF THE ABOVE HELPED ! The pop-ups continue.

It is so bad now that I dare not connect to the internet at all. This means, for example, that I could not download the copy of CWShredder that is recommended on your website. As a workaround for that, I downloaded it (CWShredder.exe) to a clean PC, copied it to a floppy, and then carried the disk to the infected PC. But when I tried to open it, I got an error msg saying that it is “not a valid Win32 application”.

The infected PC is out of warrantee and I no longer have the disks. So re-installing the OS is not an option.

I would be most grateful for any help you can give me on how to clean the adware from this PC.

Sincerely Paul_628 October 12, 2005
Email: paul628 at concentric dot net

Advertisements