Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

HDD problem on cold boot

• Please log in to reply

realelite

realelite

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
I have a strange problem with my hard disk. When I switch the computer on, it has a noticeable delay detecting the hard disk, then shows an error message "Disk not bootable, insert disk and press enter". But when I switch the computer off and then again on, the disk works and boots flawlessly. Reset button also sometimes does the trick, but not always. The problem reappears only when the PC has been switched off for an extended period of time. Chkdsk does not find any major problems with the disk. The hard drive is configured as a primary master and is the only one connected to its parallel cable. I wonder if my hard drive is slowly dying or is it something else?

Advertisements

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy:

First thin I would be doing is replacing the CLOS battery.

Once that is done, boot into BIOS and reset all your settings there..

Odds are, the new battery will fix you up!!

Murray

realelite

realelite

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
I have replaced the CMOS battery, but the problem remains unchanged. Now what?...

oneref

oneref

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
Have you tried to reseating :) the cables? Also now while it's still working ... backup backup backup :tazz: important docs.

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Do you know the make and model of the hdd??

If you do, go to the manufacturers website and download the Diagnostics program.. Run that and check the hdd..

Murray

realelite

realelite

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Ok, at last I was able to run the diagnostic software (had to buy and install the floppy drive first!). And guess what - not a single error was found in the disk. I tried it two times - when PC has been working and when it has been off for 10 hours. My hard drive model is Samsung SV8004H and the software I used is HUtil.exe.
I also doublechecked that all cable connections are fine, even relocated the HDD to a different slot away from any possible interference of power cables.
Now the procedure of switching my cold computer on is this: switch on, wait for the "disk non bootable..." message, then soft-reboot (ctrl-alt-del) and it boots normally.
Also, I can switch it off and wait for 10 minutes, and the problem does NOT reappear when I switch it back on! Only after it has been off for several hours does the message reappear.
Any other ideas what could be wrong?

Edited by realelite, 25 October 2005 - 07:27 AM.

realelite

realelite

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Could anyone help me with this problem? Waited for several days, still no response...

realelite

realelite

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Ok, so finally I bought a new SATA hard drive (old one was parallel), connected it, transferred all data with no problems, and completely disconnected the old drive.
Can you imagine my disappointment when the next morning it could not detect the new drive, but after waiting a minute and rebooting, it booted normally?!
So it appears everything is fine with BOTH drives. However, I noticed that when I switch the cold system on, the new drive starts to spin and then stops! After ~10 seconds of making abnormal clacking sounds it starts to spin again and then a soft reboot can help to boot the system normally. The old hard drive spins up-down-up-down in the same situation.
So now what? You will probably say the power supply is defective?

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
Go into setup with a fine toothed comb and check any settings that pertain to the hard drive and your power settings. Also check any settings in the control panel for power, and check in Adminstrative task for any settings for the hard drive.