Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

CANNOT GET INTO BIOS ? HELP

• Please log in to reply

rxkevco

rxkevco

• PipPipPip
  • 461 posts
HI ALL,
Was about to format my hard drive, and re-install a brand new copy of xp pro ( the one on the comp was an illegal copy apparently). every time i try to go into the bios it just will not let me.
The start up order goes,,,,,
Press f1 to enter bios, Press del to enter start up,, nothing happens when pressing the keys.
then we go to,,,,,, cannott boot from floppy,
cannott boot from cd rom,,,,,,,,, then ,,, INVALID BOOT INI FILE, booting from c/windows
The computer then goes on to start properly and all is well.
It wont let me boot from the new xp cd either.
SO,,, in a nutshell, i cant get into the bios to change the order so i can boot from the xp disc, so i cant re format the drive. completly stuck on this one.?????
i have tried everything, and am getting nowhere.
HELP, PLEASE. AM GOING FN NUTS.
CHEERS, KEV.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
The hard drive maker is likely to have a bootable set up programme which will format the drive

You should boot the PC and keep tapping delete from the off to enter set then change the boot priority to CD ROM Drive then hard drive

stix4jah

stix4jah

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
What happens when you put the XP disk in while you're in windows and try to run it that way?

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy:

You will probably get an error message stating what you are trying to do is not allowed..

Murray