Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

What type of RAM do I buy?

• Please log in to reply

friedpooodle

friedpooodle

• PipPipPip
  • 162 posts
Hey I am planning on upgrading my laptop from 256 MB's of RAM to 512. So I obviously already have 256 in there and just want to buy 256 more. The problem wouldn't be installing it because I was referred to a website that shows you how (http://www.computerm...top-memory.html *could you verify if this is correct?*) but I don't know which kind to buy. I'll probably be buying it at Best Buy. My computer is a Dell INSPIRON 5000 with XP Pro.

Are there only two types of RAM (of these being 256MB PC2700 DDR DIMM Memory and 256MB PC100 SDRAM DIMM Memory) or am I more lost than I thought.

Also, I like to learn new things so instead of you just telling me which one works for my laptop, could you tell me why? My guess is that one's for laptops and one's for pc's.

Thank you in advance.

Advertisements

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Hi
You need 144 pin SODIMM PC100, CL=2, non-parity ram

Note that this is different to desktop computer ram which uses 168 pin modules for PC100. The module must be non-parity & should have a CAS latency (CL) value of 2 in order to match the existing module.

friedpooodle

friedpooodle

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 162 posts
OOOOK. I didn't really understand that. In stores like Best Buy what would that be called? Like a store name not a tech one. If I showed someone at Best Buy exactly what you said would he know what you are talking about? Thanks.

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
If you repeat what I said to someone at Bestbuy and he doesn't know what you're talking about, then he shouldn't be working there!

However, from what I can gather, Bestbuy seems to be the equivalent of PCWorld in the UK, so there's a good chance he may not have a clue what you mean.
Unfortunately though, unless the memory they try to sell you matches the description I gave, then there's a good chance it won't work in your laptop so you will have to find someone there who can understand the specs I've given. :tazz:

emp_zertec

emp_zertec

• PipPip
  • 50 posts
If you want to upgrade to 512 MB, you need to make sure that there's another slot in your laptop for RAM. Most laptops have one slot and one slot only for RAM, so just double check, you wouldn't want to buy it then come home and realize that you can't even install it with any benefit other than one stick is newer than the other.

Zertec :tazz:

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts

If you want to upgrade to 512 MB, you need to make sure that there's another slot in your laptop for RAM. Most laptops have one slot and one slot only for RAM, so just double check, you wouldn't want to buy it then come home and realize that you can't even install it with any benefit other than one stick is newer than the other.

Zertec :tazz:

Thats a very good point but I've already checked this on Crucials website & there should be an empty slot.
Best way to check for sure though is to open the memory compartment of the laptop up, and look to make sure.

wossie

wossie

• PipPip
  • 27 posts
take the stick out and go to your nearest pc dealer and ask um to match it,u should have a sticker on it which informs you of what it actually is.