Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Cable Works, Wireless Doesn't

• Please log in to reply

kjarkas

kjarkas

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
Ok, this is a unique problem...

I have not looked past the first five pages of this forum but here goes anyway....
I reinstalled Windows XP to try to fix another problem, reinstalled the drivers for wireless, THEN reinstalled the internal wireless network card (Intel). Now wireless picks up the network. Every program except for Internet Explorer works on wireless. I can Googletalk, Automatic Update, etc. but Internet Explorer works ONLY when I am connected by cable. If you want a HijackThis log I can provide one, but I'm wondering: Is it the browser that needs to be fixed or is it the settings on my wireless that need to be fixed or is it something else? If so how?

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
As a general rule, if everything but a certain program works on wireless, it's usually an issue with that program.

Download Firefox or Opera to see if they can use wireless connections; Internet Explorer usually doesn't give a stuff what's providing internet access (modem, router, wireless connection, Wi-Fi, etc) as it just uses whatever's available.

kjarkas

kjarkas

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
I know this was a long time ago, but I fixed the problem just now by re-installing the software for wireless from the OS CD. I guess doing stuff out of order screws things up.