Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows XP Pro shutdown

• Please log in to reply

bushpilot

bushpilot

• Pip
  • 9 posts
I'm running XP and for the last 2 months something has changed on shutdown. I open Start , Turn Off Computer, Turn Off and perform my normal one click but other than a whirring nose in the tower and the green light coming on momentarily on the floppy drive nothing happens. I have to go back and repeat the proceedure one more time for shutdown.

This also happens when installing a program and the window appears saying that it needs to reboot to install...when I click OK nothing happens. I have to go to Start, Turn Off Computer, and click on Restart.

I have also noticed that when my browser opens and I click on the dropdown menu for the stored URLs it won't open on the first click, it flashes momentarily but ut takes the second click to view. This only happens initially from then on the menu drops down on and subsequent single clicks.

Any suggestions?

I posted this last week and Fenor asked me if I was using Firefox as my browser, I replied in the affirmative because I think that's when my problem started. Unfortunately I have not received a reply and I am frustrated.

Does anyone know what the connection might be?

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Click start, my documents, tools, folder options and change clicks to single, click apply

[attachment=4232:attachment]

bushpilot

bushpilot

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
I appreciate your advice but single click is my default.....what is the connection with Firefox?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Don't use it but uninstalling it should determine if it is the culprit

bushpilot

bushpilot

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
No difference

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
You can repair XP here

http://www.geekstogo...p?showtopic=138

You will need to download all updates including SP2 after this

The data and setting remain

bushpilot

bushpilot

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
I appreciate your suggestion it is just that when i posted originally a senior member, alias Fenor, tickled my fancy by replying and asking if I was using Firefox as my browser. This is indeed the case and if memory serves me correctly my problem began at that time. Mind you it's not the end of the world....I was always set up for single click and still am. It just that it's a small pain in the you know where on shutdown continually having to double click or when installing and when asked if I would like to reboot now there is no response because it would take the second click.

If it has something to do with Firefox I would rather wait and see and then if necessary i can follow your instructions.

:tazz:

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts
Hi

An other way to repair XP is to run sfc /scannow with replaces system files.

Go Start < Run and type sfc /scannow, this will give a blue bar when it goes reboot. This will need the Xp CD and fix any corrupt or missing system files.