Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Wireless internet

• Please log in to reply

Albino

Albino

• PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
To all,

I have a belkin router, the newest model, and the equvilant wireless card slotted into my motherboard. The internet does work, but the problem is that a) the transmission only reaches an average of 40% and b) it tends to disconnect regularly. The latter seems to happen when I'm doing more on the internet, i.e. browsing the web whilst d/l music, so is it possible to be doing too much that it disconnects? The only thing I can think of is that I live in quite an old house, and there is a wall nearly 2 ft thick between the router and my wireless card! Maybe this affects it.... My brother is connected to the same router but he uses a cable to link up with it, and he has no trouble, so if anyone has any suggestions, then I'd be extremely grateful.

thanks

albino

srry, have just realised this is in the wrong section. feel free to move it to networking.

Edited by Albino, 14 October 2005 - 06:17 AM.

Advertisements

Game_Freak

Game_Freak

banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 586 posts
The thickness of your wall does not matter! It can be even 4000km as long as it is in the range of your router's wireless connectivity! :tazz: I had the saem problem nad after lot of 'stuff' I got to know that it was Adware .Lop infecting my computer! So to be on the safe side please go here: http://www.geekstogo...hp?showforum=37 and follow all rules...ESPECIALLY Click here!(which is in blue at the top of thew page!)

Albino

Albino

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
Hi,

well I thought maybe that was the case, but my computer is completly clean of anything. I got it cleaned up by one of the guys on here a while back, and since then I haven't been infected with anything. After running ad-aware, AVG, ewido and spybot, nothing comes up, so I'm clean. Thing is, even after they guy on here fixed the problem for me, the internet still did the same thing. It's very frustrating - at the moment i either have to reboot, or close down the belkin wireless program, reset the country option, then restart the application, and then, if I'm lucky, I will have some signal.

So no matter what you put in the way of the wireless, the signal can get through? The router is on the other side of my house, has several walls between it, is underneath my desk with a sofa in between it and the router.....so this shouldn't affect it?

Thanks

albino

Game_Freak

Game_Freak

banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 586 posts
Unless your sofa and walls are highly radioactive! Maybe you should contact the ISP? And ask whats wrong?

Albino

Albino

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
It's not the ISP that's the problem though,it's the wireless thing. As I said my brother is connected to the router via a cable, and his works perfectly, it's just my wireless seems never to work. And I'm pretty sure my sofa's not radioactive.....though you never know :tazz: I guess no one has any answers then.... I guess I should just by a cable and then break my neck when I trip up over it when I got to take a piss in the middle of the night....as you do...

thanks anyways

Albino

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
Topic-Wireless Belkin disconnects
Date 15th Oct-2005

How many [Anti Virus] programs do you have running at same time – You should only run 1 at a time – Pick one & disable the rest – And then just run them periodically to check PC – The problem is when you downloaded these programs – they all want to be your [Protector] & get installed on [Start Menu] to run when Windows is started up – So they are protecting PC – but are also Choking PC -

They tend to load down CPU – they all want to [Scan each other] & are probably causing the router to [Choke]

Run – [Task Manager] and keep an eye on [CPU Usage] & see if Router Disconnects when [CPU Usage] is at 100% - Also look in [Task Manager] to see how many [AV] Programs are running – Probably Ad a Ware – AVG – Spybot & whatever native AV you had originally + any Firewall –

Jack123

Albino

Albino

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
Thanks for your reply. I only have one anti virus programme - AVG. Ad-Aware only runs when I open it, so it's not that. I have a sygate firewall, with the XP firewall turned off. I don't think it's CPU usage, but I will look into it. Thanks

albino