Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Linux boot loader not loading at start up

• Please log in to reply

GameQber

GameQber

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
I have two hard drives on my computer. My C: drive has an installation of Windows XP Professional with SP2. My second drive now has an installation of Fedora Core 4. During the installation, I had it remove all partitions on the second hard drive and install it there, and to install the boot loader on hda1 (my C: drive).

However, the boot loader does not load when I start up my computer. It just goes straight to Windows XP without any prompt for which OS to start whatsoever.

I am somewhat new to Linux, just fyi. Any help would be great.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
hda0 (Zero not the letter) is usually the primary drive...hda1 is usually the secondary...remember...everything in computers begins with 0 (well...almost everything)

GameQber

GameQber

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

hda0 (Zero not the letter) is usually the primary drive...hda1 is usually the secondary...remember...everything in computers begins with 0 (well...almost everything)

Oops, yeah, that's what I meant. It showed a selection between two hard drives to choose which one would be where the boot loader would install. I know that my two hard drives are different sizes, with the smaller drive being my C: drive. I installed the boot loader on the smaller drive, hda0. The actual Linux OS installation took place on hda1.

Thef0rce

Thef0rce

• PipPipPip
  • 380 posts
this actually happened to me too. I was confused.

turns out that its a bug in fc4. put the install disk back in and when the graphical screen comes up, type linux rescue. then type grub-install --recheck /dev/hda. it'll make some odd noises and then return. reboot and then you're done.

check the syntax though. I think the quality of google searches have mysteriously degraded over a few weeks.. I can't find the exact instructions I used to fix it.

GameQber

GameQber

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

this actually happened to me too. I was confused.

turns out that its a bug in fc4. put the install disk back in and when the graphical screen comes up, type linux rescue. then type grub-install --recheck /dev/hda. it'll make some odd noises and then return. reboot and then you're done.

check the syntax though. I think the quality of google searches have mysteriously degraded over a few weeks.. I can't find the exact instructions I used to fix it.

No luck. All I got was the following:

/sbin/grub: Not found

Thef0rce

Thef0rce

• PipPipPip
  • 380 posts
syntax for grub-install here

it should work if you use the recheck option. I've had to do this twice already. unless your location is wrong

Edited by Thef0rce, 14 October 2005 - 05:21 PM.

GameQber

GameQber

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

syntax for grub-install here

it should work if you use the recheck option. I've had to do this twice already. unless your location is wrong

The location is wrong, I'm guessing. I still get the "/sbin/grub: Not Found" error. I did "cd sbin" and "ls", and no grub folder to be found. I have no idea where I could find it or how I would go about correcting this, either.

GameQber

GameQber

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
I'm guessing everyone's stumped. :tazz:

I'd like to be able to use Linux on my computer. I can't figure out why Grub isn't installing correctly, though.