Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

please help with VMM32.VXD

• Please log in to reply

marknf316

marknf316

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
p.s.- i do not care if i lose that file

Advertisements

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
It seems to be intact. When you looked at the directory of C: did you see a folder named win98, or cabs? If not, Enter

cd C:\windows\options

then Enter

dir /p and look for a folder named cabs. If it's there go

cd cabs

then

dir /p

If it has about 100 files including many .cab files it will be the installation files and you can just type in

setup

to start the reinstallation of windows. It should keep your programs and settings when done this way.

marknf316

marknf316

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
it is now running the windows 98 set up, now should windoes work, after this process is done?

marknf316

marknf316

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
It worked!!!!! I also kept all of the old files, even though it said "starting windows for the first time" thank you so much, are there any final adjustments i must make?

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
You might want to check that you don't have any spyware or other stuff that might have corrupted any files. And BTW, congratulations.

marknf316

marknf316

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
one more question, sorry, i bought the floppy drive and set it up, i never needed to use it, but i would now like to. I have tried running the windows wizard, and searching myself, is this anything you could help me with?

btw, thanks again

marknf316

marknf316

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
it installed itself as a 5 1/4 inch floppy drive, but its clearly 3 1/2

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts

it installed itself as a 5 1/4 inch floppy drive, but its clearly 3 1/2

There may be a setting in BIOS about the type of floppy drive. Don't know what kind of BIOS you have so I can't tell you much more than that. Also you might need to install some drivers for other stuff, but reinstalling from the mfrs. set up should have installed them.