Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Critique My Site

• Please log in to reply

Julio

Julio

• PipPipPip
  • 159 posts
http://www.smartbizops.ws

I just put it up. I would like any constructive criticism you may have to offer. Thanks! :tazz:

Edited by Julio, 14 October 2005 - 04:18 PM.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
So many things wrong with it.

1) Underlined text. People often think its a hyperlink.

2) The yellow highlighted text is offputting.

3) The navigation bar is ugly.

4) Your Computers page is riddled with inaccuracies and lists of programs that are not spyware/adware/malware.

5) "Under Construction" pages do not inspire faith.

6) Times New Roman, on a Windows platform, should normally only appear when a site has degraded gracefully, or when its the browser default because you haven't told it otherwise. Give it a font, Times New Roman is so 1997. :tazz:

7) I'm seeing a load of "span classes" in the source but I don't see any stylesheet, which might explain number 6 above.

This site needs a [bleep] of a lot more work IMO. A decent header would be a good start and a decent navigation bar.

Julio

Julio

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts
Thanks. The spyware part was directly from Wikipedia (it states that at the bottom of that section). The red text that's underlined ARE links. I'll remove the underlining on the other parts.

What are "span classes"?

I'll change the font. But I like the navigation bar. I tried putting buttons in it, but "The Animated Kids' Bible" was too long to fit in any of the buttons.

Edited by Julio, 14 October 2005 - 06:27 PM.

lil_cat_luver

lil_cat_luver

• PipPipPip
  • 296 posts
The first thing I noticed is that the header is very very plain, and the chunk of red doesn't really do anything. The blue text on red (or red and black) looks out of place.

The content should not have a white background, it doesn't fit in with the rest of the site. And the navigation bar should have some sort of border to seperate it from the rest of the page. Although I suppose using different colours do seperate, but personally, I'd rather have the same background colours and have borders. The same goes for any image you have on the site, adding a border (even a 1px flat line) will make the whole page look more professional.

The dividers in the navigation are simple and clean, but there are too many, actually they appear too frequently. So, instead of having 10 pages of content under each link (i.e. computers), link to subpages. For example:

Computers
- Bad PC Ju-ju
- Spyware and Viruses
- Consequences
- Solutions
- etc
- etc
-----divider here
Title here
- subpage here
- subpage here

You could also try putting the divider above the title rather than below the last subpage, whichever way works better.

Also, I'm not trying to argue with Wikipedia, but since when does Opera and DivX contain adware? :tazz:

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Getting better. Some font type/size problems still. Never did like green links, but with FF I can do a Ctrl+ a couple of times and get the font large enough to read.

Validation of Home Page took awhile. 39 errors. You need to validate your pages so you can see where the errors are and correct them :

W3C Validator

Your CSS validated 100%.

Fast loading page. Here's results of speed check :

Analysis and Recommendations

* TOTAL_HTML - Congratulations, the total number of HTML files on this page (including the main HTML file) is 1 which most browsers can multithread. Minimizing HTTP requests is key for web site optimization.
* TOTAL_OBJECTS - Congratulations, the total objects on this page (including the HTML) is 1 which most browsers can multithread. Minimizing HTTP requests is key for web site optimization.
* TOTAL_SIZE - Congratulations, the total size of this page is 274 bytes. This page should load in less than eight seconds on a 56Kbps connection - or 0.05 seconds. But there's always room for improvement.
* HTML_SIZE - Congratulations, the total size of this HTML file is 274 bytes, which less than 20K. Assuming that you specify the HEIGHT and WIDTH of your images, this size allows your page to display content in well under 8 seconds, the average time users are willing to wait for a page to display without feedback.
* MULTIM_SIZE - Congratulations, the total size of all your external multimedia files is 0 bytes, which is less than 4K.
* TITLE - Congratulations. Your TITLE tag is 404 Not Found characters, or 90 characters or less. Search engines and directories generally index the entire title but display only 55 to 90 characters of your title, with most averaging 70 to 80 characters in length. Ideally your title should contain your top one or two keyphrases, and be 10 words or less.

This accounts for the fast loading time. Very good. Didn't bother with other validation checks.

Ron

Allsortgroup

Allsortgroup

I SPAMMED Too Much!

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 905 posts
Its a bit plain.

The colors are not very appealing and its very dull.

Try adding some faded rollovers and a new layout.

:tazz: