Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Not booting correctly.

• Please log in to reply

Seven!

Seven!

• PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
At first, the machine (see specs below) wasn't getting to the POST. I set the JCMOS to pins 2 / 3, then back to 1 / 2. The machine booted, I entered the BIOS, configured my boot order to CD-ROM, Floppy, HD; after continuing the monitor LED turned orange and nothing happened. I reset the machine and nothing happened. I turned it off, turned off the power switch on the back, turned them off, and I got a message complaining about the CMOS. It reset them to default, but Windows would not boot. I got the screen that says, "start Windows in Safe Mode, start Windows with last known working configuration, or start Windows normally (there were more that I cannot remember)."

- Windows was installed on this HD previous to the MOBO/CPU/RAM/PSU changes. Should I reset the CMOS, boot from CD, format, and reinstall Windows?

---

Biostar M7NCD (onboard audio / ethernet, socket A)
AMD Sempron 2600+ (socket A, heatsink / fan)
Kingston 256MB ValuRam (PC 2700 / DDR 333)
Samsung 80GB HD
400W Powersource

The video card was donated, some ATi Radeon of a sort, 128MB. I know the problem isn't the video card, I replaced it with an nVidia Vanta (RIVA / TNT2, 32MB) and the problem was not resolved.

----

On a semi-related note, the Sempron 2600+ did not come with any thermal paste. It had what I can only describe as a 'thermal sticker' - will this suffice or do you reccomend that I apply some form of paste (Arctic Silver?), and how to go about doing so.

Thanks.

Edited by Seven!, 14 October 2005 - 07:14 PM.

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Windows XP does not like to boot when it was installed on a different motherboard and then on a new one. You can try a REPAIR INSTALLATION of windows.

As for the thermal paste question, check the temperature of your CPU and system in the BIOS and post what temps they are running at, or better, download and install Motherboard Monitor and it will show you the temp of your CPU and System while windows is running and actively doing something which is far better.

Use Artic Silver would definitely be better at dissapating heat then the thermal gunk that comes preset on the processor, but it is not an easy thing to do and very easy to screw up, but if you want to check out how to do it, then check out this link.

Fenor

Seven!

Seven!

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
I switched HDs to a Seagate (or is it Maxtor?) Barracuda 120GB, and it still gave me the CMOS checksum error, but continuing on with my CMOS settings yet once again reset to default, the Windows installation prompt appeared. I'm currently formatting that massive HD, hopefully to the PCs success.

I removed and reinstalled the RAM, Video card, CPU, all the IDE cables (I have my HD and CD-Rom drive on different IDE cables - that's the correct way to go, right?), replaced the HD (as stated earlier); hopefully it was something simple like that.

Any idea why I'd be getting a CMOS checksum error?

(And I'm looking for a smaller Linux distro (not a 'live' cd however), if you have any suggestions.)

Thanks.

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy:

Try changing out the CMOS battery.. Sounds like it isn't holding the settings!!

Murray

Seven!

Seven!

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
Could you elaborate a bit? I'll do some Google hunting for the CMOS battery, what it does, etc, but the guys here are much more trustworthy.

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
It's a small battery about the size of a nickel located on the motherboard.. Power the system down, and open the case..

Ground yourself to the metal frame before you reach inside.. Remove the battery, get a new one and reverse the procedure to install it..

Murray