Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Xp Home boot problems

• Please log in to reply

simbaking84

simbaking84

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
I have a XP Home edition that willonly boot to the WELCOME screen them stops. How can I boot into safe mode to work on it or any other suggestions will be GREATLY appreciated. Are there boot disks for XP home somewhere I can downlaod?

Simba

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Hi simbaking84!

You can get into SAFE MODE by tapping the F8 key about once a second while you reboot your computer. Keeping tapping it until a screen displays giving you the option to boot into safe mode. Post back here if you are successful in booting into windows in safe mode.

Fenor

simbaking84

simbaking84

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
I was able to boot into safe mode.. so now what does this mean?? I can't boot into normal XP Home but can into safe mode. DO I need to suspect malware issues??
thank you...

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Yes, that's what I suspect. Please take at look at this link and follow the steps for removing malware from your computer. If you are still having problems after doing all the steps indicated, then please post a HiJackThis log in the Malware Forum.

If you are still having problems after being given a clean bill of health from the malware expert, please return to THIS thread and we will consider other options to help you solve your problem.

Good luck!

Fenor

Edited by Fenor, 14 October 2005 - 08:16 PM.

simbaking84

simbaking84

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Actually it will not let me do anything in under safe mode... only let me open windows task manager wow now what??

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
You don't see your desktop in safe mode?

Fenor

simbaking84

simbaking84

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
it loads into safe but then locks up to where I cannot do anything

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
But you can get to the task manager. which is good. Do you have your XP CD?

Fenor

simbaking84

simbaking84

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Yes I do

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
While in safe mode, open the TASK MANAGER. Then click on FILE and then NEW TASK. In the box that appears, type in sfc /scannow Please note the space between sfc and /scannow. You will need your XP cd to do this. Once the blue bar goes away, reboot your computer and see if you can get into windows normally.

Fenor

simbaking84

simbaking84

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
sorry but the CPU usage just stays at 100% and it won't do anything.. Can malware plug it up that much that it Is best I just wipe clean and reinstall XP??

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
I would try a Repair Installation first before resorting to such drastic measures. Don't worry the repair installation won't delete any files or remove any settings you have in place and all your programs will still work afterwards, it just replaces the windows operating system files (C:\WINDOWS). You will need to redo all windows updates after doing this though.

Good luck and post back how things are going after finishing the repair installation.

Fenor

simbaking84

simbaking84

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
I am back to try and finish this tonight...
when i reach the DOS screen that asks "which Windows installation would you like to log onto there is only one chice so i enter # 1 but then it asks for the administrators password. I have NO admin password so i hit enter ant it just takes me to the C:/win dos prompt..
What do I do??

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
That's the RECOVERY CONSOLE, and that's not where you want to be, please follow the directions for doing a repair installation from my previous post.

Fenor

simbaking84

simbaking84

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Thank you.. It reloaded fine!! I will now go over to get help with malwware..

Thank you.