Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

RPC Server is unavailable

• Please log in to reply

emp_zertec

emp_zertec

• PipPip
  • 50 posts
Hey everybody,
I always seem to just come to you with problems, sorry about that. My Dell A920 All-in-one printer was working like a charm until about 2 weeks ago. My printer was in storage over the summer while I was working to have money for college, and when I unpacked it and set everything back up back at the beginning of September there was no problems with it.
About two weeks ago, as stated above, whenever I wanted to print off a document the computer tells me it either can't find a printer, the spooler service isn't running, or I need to reinstall the drivers. I did a lot of research to try and alleviate this dillema (I'm a student and need the printer for homework and project purposes), everything from going into services.msc and making sure the RPC server is running (when I reinstalled the drivers and completely uninstalled and reinstalled the printer itself, everything went fine installing, there appeared to be no problem until 99% when it told me the RPC server is unavailabe), when I tried to get the spooler service to run, it gave me the error - Error 1068; the dependency service or group failed to start, totally uninstalled my printer, turned off the computer, disconnected it, rebooted, eliminated all traces of printer software, rebooted again, turned off computer, reconnected printer, rebooted, reinstalled software, still can't print.
I've exhausted all my thought processes and options that I could possibly think of to try and fix this problem on my own, now I'm turning to anybody out there that can help me. I thank you in advance for any help anyone can offer.

Thank you,

Zertec :tazz:

Edited by emp_zertec, 14 October 2005 - 10:08 PM.

Advertisements

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Hi. It may be a .DLL is missing or corrupted. Try running the system file checker. You will need to have your windows installation cd in the drive so that windows can get the files it needs. Once you have the cd in place, go to start, run and type sfc /scannow

Note there is a space between sfc and /scannow.

emp_zertec

emp_zertec

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
Oh man, that takes forever to do! Actually, I did this around the time my printer started complaining, would that have anything to do with it's current performance? Alright, will do and post back to tell you if it fixes the problem. Thanks for the help austin_o, will do. :tazz:

Zertec :)

Edited by emp_zertec, 15 October 2005 - 09:44 AM.

emp_zertec

emp_zertec

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
Ran the sfc /scannow, and the DLL cache was missing, but still recieve the same error message when running the install/reinstall/everything else I mentioned above. Even when I try to manually install a printer throught control panel it gives me grief - Operation could not be completed, printer spooler service is not running - checked in services, it's set to automatic and it is started. Any other suggestions?

Thanks,

Edited by emp_zertec, 15 October 2005 - 11:16 AM.

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
I did a search on M$ support for "printer spooler" and got 100 hits. It is possible there may be an answer for you there. http://support.micro...printer spooler

emp_zertec

emp_zertec

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
Thanks for the push in the right direction austin_o, it was just what I needed to get back on track. After much reading and research from Microsoft's website, I finally found the article that set my printer straight. The file is the attachment here, in case anybody else needs help fixing the same problem. Once again, thanks for all the help, you're awesome!

Many thanks,

Attached File  printer_resolved.rtf   5.27KB   260 downloads

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
I seem to recall that this type of preblem can be caused by corruption of the net framework. You might want to try reinstalling net framework from MS Updates and see if this cures it.

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Glad you got the answer you needed at M$. Sometimes we have to dig into the pile and search for what we need. This is often the case at M$. I have found stating the search criteria to be the most challenging aspect of using their support/knowledge base. When you don't have it quite right, little or no results. When you hit it right, out pops 100 results to sort through!